Chapter 5: Meeting the Hottie

After being released from the hospital, John kept his promise.  We were walking in the woods, my hand in his.   "You don't remember seeing us a few years ago?"

"I didn't know you were humans."

"Good point.  Are you sure you want to do this?"

"Yes.  I'm pretty sure."

Suddenly a wolf jumped in front of us followed by more surrounding us.  I had John's arm as he pushed me behind him.  "Layni and Jared."  John said loud enough that I barely heard it and they knew he knew who they were.  More wolves arrived surrounding us, facing the rival pack.  John slid his arm free.  One of the wolves toward the front jump at me and John which made John shift.  The wolve caught my face, scratching just below my eye.  I fell covering my eye.

After 15 minutes, the other wolves left.  John kept his distance from me.  He thought he hurt me.  "John you didn't hurt her.  Jared got her when he jumped at her.  If it wasn't for you he would have caused more damage."  John knelt beside me.

"Let me see."  I coward away.  "Baby, I'm not going to hurt you."  He touched my chin with his fingertips.  I moved my hand it had some blood on it.  He pressed a kiss to the gash.  "I'm really very sorry, Heather."  John took me home.  His hand held mine.  I opened the front door and John followed.  Craig and Michael saw the scratch.

"What happened?

"It's okay, they know."  John said to me.  "Jared's pack cornered us.  I was going to show my wolf to my mate.  They jumped out and Jared jumped at Heather.  I shifted and pushed Jared away just as he got her."

A month later, John and I had a bad fight and broke up.    Shortly after the break up, John had girls hanging on to him.  He saw me look at him.  I turned away and went toward the office.  I dropped everything when I ran into someone.  "Sorry."  He had an accent and it was attractive.

"It's fine.  My fault."  I looked up and the guy smiled.  He picked up my things for me.  "Thanks."

"You're welcome."  He handed me my things.  "Excuse me, could you possibly show me to my first class?  I'm new here."

"Um, sure.  What's your first class?"  he showed me his schedule.  Same as mine.  He followed me to class.  I let him take John's seat.  No assigned seats so he's out of luck.  "I'm Kevin.  Kevin Taylor."

"Heather Clark."

"Well, it's absolutely great to meet you."

I looked up when John came in.  He saw Kevin sitting in his spot and anger flashed through his features.  John sat behind me.  When class started, the sub, Mr. Andrews, assigned a project.  Kevin volunteered as my partner.  "I'll help you get caught up."

"Great."

After class, Kevin followed me to English class.  John had to sit beside me.  Stupid assigned seats.  I sat down and John took his seat beside me.  Kevin was seated across the room.  "So, we break up and you move on to the next new guy?"

"You broke up with me.  So much for mates right?"  I caught Kevin looking at me.  He smiled.  "Besides your the one that has girls hanging on to you left and right."

"Look, I just thought we needed a break."

"Don't expect me to wait."

3 months later, Kevin and I were working on a project.  He had an encounter with John a few weeks ago.  His hand touched mine and I looked up and kissed him catching him off guard, but he recovered quickly and kissed me back.  I heard the door close and someone clear their throat.  I pulled away to see Jenna, Craig, and my foster parents standing in the door way.  "Um, you guys remember Kevin Taylor."