Chapter 18: Married to the Beta

This chapter is after Daniel and Melanie are married.  Zaya is almost 2 years old.  Christina and Julie are back in the story.  I try to focus on the individual characters, but I'll try to have a variety of point of views.

---Melanie's POV---

A year later, Daniel and I got married because we completely mated and Zaya needed a real father 24/7.  It was Thanksgiving time and Danny and I were at my parents house for the weekend.  Zaya was out playing in the snow with Daddy and Grandpa.  I was sitting at the kitchen table waiting on a pregnancy test.  My hands were shaking and I knew it was because I was afraid.  I didn't want Danny to leave me if I was.  My mom came in.

"Hey babe, why aren't you outside dumping snow on Danny?"

"I just... don't feel good."

"Are you all right?"

"Please, get Danny."  I said running to the bathroom.  I started to throw up.  I felt Danny's hands, slightly cold from the snow, at my back.

"Baby, are you all right?"  I sat on the floor by the toilet after flushing it.  My hands in my hair.  I noticed in my rush I knocked over the test.  I reached for it, but Danny beat me to it.  "Mel, it's positive.  Why were you trying to hide it?"

"I wasn't."

"You didn't want me to get it.  Tell me Mels."  I leaned my head back against the cabinet.  "Melanie, I'm not going anywhere.  I love you so much.  It's my baby too and once the paper work is completely filed I will officially be Zaya's father.  I'm trying so hard to keep the memories of James away.  You need to remember that I will never ever hurt you."

"I know baby.  I'm sorry."  I hugged his waist.  "I'm sorry."  he wrapped his arms around my shoulders.  He kissed my hair.

That night, I was asleep in my old room.  I didn't plan on falling asleep so I was uncovered.  I was kinda cold, but I was too lazy to move.  The blanket was messed up anyway from when Zaya took a nap with Danny earlier today.  There was a knock on the door.  "Mel?"  Danny said.  I heard it open and Danny step in.  He sat beside me and rubbed my back.  "Baby?"  I woke up.  "Hey, time for dinner."

"Maybe in a bit."  He checked my forehead.

"Honey, you need to eat."

"Danny, I'm just a little queasy.  I'll be down in a little bit."

"All right."  He kissed my forehead.

20 minutes later, I walked into the kitchen, Danny looked up from his seat at the island in the kitchen.  "Hey."

After dinner, Danny was helping me fix the blankets.  Zaya was staying in my parents' room.  Blood began to drip from my nose.  "Ugh, really?"  Danny looked up.

"I'll be right back.  Tilt your head back."  he went to get me a wet wash cloth.  He came back and sat down.  I sat in front of him my back against his chest.  He rubbed my back.  "Relax.  This is a break from everything just relax."

On Thanksgiving Day, Zaya and Danny were outside with my dad and everyone else.  I was helping my mom with dinner.  I jumped feeling cold hands on my neck.  I elbowed Danny in the stomach.  "Danny Mitchell!"  he laughed.

We were watching a movie while waiting for dinner to be done.  Danny was sitting beside me with Zaya in his lap.  "Since it's the first Thanksgiving with Danny as part of the family, I think we should stick with tradition."

"Uh oh."

"Very funny.  Danny, as tradition, Aaron and Kevin always get a real tree every Thanksgiving and we want you to go with."