Chapter 17: Losing a Friend and Gaining Another

In this chapter James does the unthinkable and Mel is trying to get over the loss of her best friend.  

---James's POV---

As a result of trying to get Melanie to forgive me, I went to the pet store.  Lucky had passed due to not eatting.  He lost his "soul" mate.  I was trying my best to avoid losing mine.  Everytime I tried to see Mel, her sister told me she wasn't up for company.  I found two puppies.  Golden retrievers.  I got to Mel's apartment and Jack let me in.  She was facing the wall.  I set one of the puppies on the bed and it crawled up to her.  It licked her hand and got to her face.  She looked and saw the puppy and broke down.  I moved so I was beside her kneeling on the floor.  "Baby..."  I kissed her hand and rubbed her arm with my hand.  "It was an accident.  She's running around with Lucky now."  I then realized I just told her Lucky was gone too.  She started sobbing.  "Hey... look at me.  This two little ones were going to be sent to the shelter and then euthanized.  Look, she loves you."  I gestured to the puppy now on Mel's pillow licking her face.  She cracked a smile.  "That's my girl."

"You're girl?"

"Yes.  You're mine and my mate.  I love you.  I'm never going to stop loving you."

"What about that girl you were with?"  she asked sitting up.

"She was an intern hired by my partner.  She was fired.  Mel I'm sorry I was even put in that situation with her."

"I thought you liked girls like that."

"No, baby.  You are the one for me.  Your dad even punched me, so you're stuck with me."  I tugged her blankets.  "Come on.  Time for you to get out of bed and see the world."  She kissed me and I faked a gag.  "Bad breath."  She hit my arm.

"Bully."  She went into the bathroom.  The puppies crawled to me and licked my face.  Mel came out 15 minutes later.  She was in jeans and a tanktop.

"Come on."  I took her hand and grabbed a puppy.  The other followed behind us.  Mel and I went to the park.  She was tackled with puppy drool.

That night we were at her apartment.  She decided on Zeke and Zora for the puppies.  It was her choice.  I was ordering pizza when I walked in Melanie was laughing she had the Zeke in her face and Zora at her hand she was being puppy loved.  I shook my head and chuckled at the sight.

She went to bed and I stuck around.  I was sitting on the floor on the makeshift bed.  I was watching TV.  Melanie was asleep with the bear I gave her when we went to the carnival.  The puppies were asleep in their basket by the door.  I fell asleep leaving against her bed.

---Melanie's POV---

***********************************************Dreamland*************************************************************

The wind was harsh causing branches to fall.  I spotted James in the distance stumbling.  "Jamie?"  I whispered feeling scared and nervous.  "Jamie, what's going on?"  Suddenly I was surrounded by dogs all of them looked like Bell.  They were growling and getting ready to pounce.

"You killed her Melanie!" a voice said.  I turned around Greg was beside me.  His eyes were red.  Nick had my arms pinned behind my back.  "It's all your fault.  Better watch out, James will be next."  I was attacked by the dogs.

*******************************************End Dream*****************************************************************

I screamed struggling.  "Melanie!  Mel, wake up!"  I woke up covered in sweat.  James was beside me his hands held my arms.  "Baby, are you all right?"  I shook my head and got up.  I went into the bathroom .  "Baby, do you want me to leave?"  he asked standing at the door.  I shook my head and splashed cold water on my face and the back of my neck.  "What was your dream about?"