Chapter 52: False Sense of Reality

posted:

edited:

an: ......................one chapter left..............................

xoxo, j + r
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"When someone you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure."
-Unknown

NIALL'S POV

"Do you think they'll believe us?" Liam wonders aloud.

"I honestly don't know. They might have to, because what else do they have?" I answer.

Liam and I decided it be best if we went alone without Lyla to the police station. It's bad enough that this terrible fate has been bestowed upon her, we don't have to drag her into all the heartbreaking details. Zayn currently is out on a long-awaited date with Perrie, seeing as they haven't seen each other in so long and she was due back for her tour in a week and could only see him these two days. Harry has therapy that he needed to take for a psychiatrist to be able to prescribe him meds for his depressive state. And Louis has a management meeting for his soccer team he manages and is in charge of. So by default, Liam and I were sent to the police station as we are en route at the moment to deliver the information Skylar gathered.

After a few minutes of silence save for the friction of the tires of our car against the rough, treacherous tarred streets, Liam speaks up. "I don't understand," he says almost in a whisper.

"What don't you understand?"

"What did these little girls do to deserve a life so terrible? It's like they never even got a chance." As he speaks, he looks straight out the window at the road ahead, almost as if he were simply speaking his thoughts aloud and not directly at me.

I think for a moment about his statement, pondering the many facets of the topic before responding. "Sometimes life throws rocks; sometimes it throws pillows."

"What pillows?" he scoffs.

And although I don't answer, I know the answer. Us. We are their pillows, sent to protect them from these rocks.

After awhile we finally arrive at the police department. After telling them we have information to turn over about Olivia's case, they have us fill out information on a visitation sheet and the reason for our visit before a detective leads us back to discus our findings.

Seeing as I had to get home to watch a football match, I cut right to the chase. "We believe the man who kidnapped her is Doug Lenmar, who has been going under the alias of Joseph Baker."

Liam keeps a stern look on his face as he reads the detective's expression. And for someone who is not supposed to give away what he is thinking, he surprises me when his eyes go wide and his mouth is left a bit ajar.

"You mean...?" he drifts off.

He gestures for us to follow him out of the room and brings us to his desk, where he begins quickly typing on his computer. He pulls up the police's database and types in the name. What comes up are Lenmar's mugshots and a rap sheet as long as my arm. He gestures to the photo before asking: "This is the man she is with?"

Liam and I both give a nod.

He pauses for a moment, gathering all his information, but all that leaves his mouth are the words "This could be a very...very bad situation."

LYLA'S POV

The trees outside whistle in harmony with the calming breeze, singing the songs of the seasoned weather. They work together, the wind gracefully playing the instruments of nature, the birds and other living things outside providing the melody of the song. I wish I could make such beautiful sounds, but sadly I am left with a hoarse voice and a red face, the stuffy nose fitting in perfect pattern with the rest of my exterior.