Chapter 53: The Flower of Farewell

a/n: wow we seriously suck big time. there's literally no excuse. we're so sorry. I [julia] finally just cranked out this chapter.

it's the last one. yeah, we're dead.

BUT 10 K!!! AHHHHHH!¡

um y'all should go read the prologue to thantophobia. it good.

xo, j + r
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Loss leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal."
-Unknown

LYLA'S POV

It's been four days since I last saw her. Four nights I've slept without her to warm me; four breakfasts I've eaten without her to annoy me; four baths I've taken without her to splash me; four tears I've shed without her to dry.

I think the silent tears are the worst. The ones that fall when everyone is sleeping. The ones that creep in your throat and hide in your eyes. The ones that keep you from making sounds when you scream; the ones that make you hold your breath and tighten your stomach to keep the cries mute. The ones that keep you from air, from breath. The ones when you realize the person you love most is gone.

The acrimony, the disdain, the rancor I feel is unable to be explained. If only I had stayed with her, if only I had taken her home, if only, if only, if only. . . . If only I could have saved her.

I pick myself up from the coach to open the back door for Toby, who had been scratching and barking to be let in for the past ten minutes. He shakes his hair, damp from the rain, as I shade my face away from the unwanted shower. He jumps around me and trots into the house, not forgetting to leave his muddy footprints in his tracks.

"If the boys ask, it wasn't me. Got it?" I coach Toby. He simply sneezed and continues to dirty up the entire floor. I roll my eyes and turn to close the door—as to not let the cold air in—but something catches my gaze as it blows from side to side getting pelted by the rain on every angle imaginable. A small nosegay of flowers rooted deeply into the ground—the only way they'd be able to survive such harsh conditions. Alone in a rainstorm, having watched all your comrades be ripped our from the ground and harshly disposed of, holding out for the sunlight. Their white hue and purple tips give them effervescent beauty to which is unparalleled. It also gives away its honorific.

Cyclamens.

The flower of farewell.

SKYLAR'S POV

For her cooperation, Jane was released after she handed over her information to the DA.

I still remember her vile smirk as she uttered "We're not married, we're not even in love. Just partners with a common goal: to run from the law."

To think every single facet in these girls' lives was a complete and total lie. Then I suppose it wasn't; it was simply the truth behind a mask.

And isn't that what life is?

Regardless, it isn't what these girls deserve.

As I sit with Lyla and we play Go Fish, I wrack my head thinking about how were ever going to tell them, the inseparable sisters that they weren't, in fact. I simply can't bring myself to lie to them, though at the same time, how could I ever be able to tell them? Then again telling the truth and making someone cry is a whole lot better than telling a lie and making her smile.