Chapter 17: Trick-or-Treat

"Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live."
-Johnny Depp

LYLA'S POV

"So girls, have you decided on what we want to be for Halloween?" Skylar asks Olivia and I as we finish our sandwiches they made us for lunch.

The boys were at another one of their concerts Olivia and I aren't allowed to go to yet.

"I'm thinking Dorothy from 'The Wizard of Oz'!" Olivia says, a huge smile crossing her face.

I had forgotten the guys told us we would be able to go trick-or-treating this year, it would be our first time ever. Our parents rarely took us anywhere, let alone following us around our dirty neighborhood for an entire night.

"Lyla, how 'bout you?" Jordan turns to me.

"I don't know, I haven't thought about it." I answer.

"Well, you better hurry, we only have a week until the big day!" Skylar exclaims. "We should go shopping for costumes."

"No."

"You just need another reason to go shopping, don't you?" Olivia questions, but, unlike me, she likes shopping, she enjoys it, I have no idea why.

"Well..." Jordan spreads out the word. "I do need a new top."

"Yeah, I agree, your wardrobe needs updating, let's go." Skylar nods.

"No." I say again.

"C'mon, Ly!" Jordan uses the nickname that I hate.

"Don't call me that."

"She hates that nickname." Olivia whispers loud enough for me to hear.

"Well, why wouldn't I? It's weird." I defend myself.

"Let's go shopping!" Skylar squeals. "Like you said, you need a new top, and I need new shoes!"

"What about the costumes?" Olivia asks.

"Oh, right! Yeah, that too." She seemed to have forgotten.

"Well, girlies, let's go!" Jordan herds us into the back of her small car, I guess babysitting doesn't really pay well.

"Ughhh." I groan, and continue to do so until we're parked in front of the shopping center.

"Cheer up, Lyla!" Olivia rubs my back as we exit the car. "It's not that bad!"

"Easy for you to say," I pout, "you enjoy this horror."

"Mmm, more than you, but less than them." She points to the sitters in fake-disgust, although it wasn't that fake.

"Alright, so I was thinking we go to that boutique on the other side of the center!" Jordan says way too cheerfully.

I honestly didn't care, but agreeing would get me out of here quicker so I nodded.

We spend what seems like hours in the shop that was smaller than the room Olivia and I shared back at the house.

"Can we get ice cream?" I ask as we pass an ice cream parlor.

"I don't see why not?" Skylar responds.

I order my favorite, which isn't technically ice cream, Rainbow Sherbet. Olivia took longer than five minutes deciding on hers.

"Umm, I'm torn between chocolate and chocolate chip." She mutters, scanning her choices.

"Aren't they, oh, I dunno, the same thing?" I ask, the sarcasm in my voice obvious.