5. Hungry Flames [Vaughn]

Vaughn observed the face of his king while they both sat down on a chair. He had no idea how Thorin would react on the message. He never spoke about his feelings for the elf, but he had to take action. Even doing nothing was a decision - and the best one in his opinion.

He showed the message his men had intercepted. He did not know of what material it was made. It was thicker than parchment, but that was all he could say. He watched Thorin's eyebrows creeping closer as he extended his arm and took the message. 

"I've seen this before," Thorin grumbled and his eyes flashed across the letters that he was not able to understand. 

Vaughn was sincerely surprised. "Are you serious?"

"Gandalf handed me a message like this, almost two years ago."

"What was in it?" he wanted to know. 

"A price for my head."

Vaughn waited a moment before he answered: "This time it's not about your head."

The shock could be read from his face. Apparently he thought to know who raised so much dust and Vaughn was really curious to unravel the reasons. 

"The elf, my lord. They want her head."

His face turned pale. Although Thorin had never spoken a word about it, it became immediately clear how much the elf woman meant to him. 

"What exactly does it say?" Thorin wanted to know. He clearly tried to stay calm, but Vaughn noticed fear had grasped him very tightly. 

"Those are not nice words, my lord," he warned his king. 

Thorin shrugged, his eyes fixed on him. Vaughn took the letter out of Thorin's hands.

"An inexpressible reward for the one who brings the head of Oakenshield's whore."

For a moment he feared his king would burst out in tears, but he kept his dignity and straightened his shoulders. "Fortunately she's far from here. I need to warn her."

That was exactly what Vaughn had expected and he shook his head. "That is too obvious, my lord. They will keep an eye on the birds." He took a deep breath. "I think it's best to cut off all contact with her. For her safety. They're marching our way. They think the elf is here. Don't give them reason to doubt."

Thorin stood up, pacing up and down the room. "Still, I have to warn her."

"You can't do that without putting her in danger. Is that what you want?" He lowered his voice. "From what I understand, hasty decisions have caused trouble before."

Thorin stared furiously in his eyes and for a moment Vaughn feared he would be sent away, but then he turned away his face in shame. 

"What do you suggest?"

"To not contact her." He gave his king a penetrating look. "None of us."

"I doubt Kíli will listen," he mumbled.

Vaughn suppressed a sigh. "You're the king. You make the rules and even a successor needs to obey them."

Thorin mumbled something inaudible and gestured he could leave. "Let me think about it."

"It's the only safe solution," Vaughn stressed. "The orcs do not know in which community she lives."

"Maybe they will overrun every elf kingdom when they find out she's not here," Thorin muttered.

"Do not underestimate the power of Rivendell and Mirkwood."

His king watched him with sad eyes. "She's not there."

Vaughn turned around, a satisfied smile adorned his face. Then only a few small, almost unremarkable kingdoms would remain. He left the chamber and went to his own room, where he put the pamphlet in the fire. The material ignited quickly and all that was left of it a few minutes later, were some smoldering remains. He stared at the malicious flames, that had devoured an important message for the second time this day...