Chapter 40 [Kíli]

Kili took the plate gratefully. While he spooned his food in his mouth, that was miraculously a meat-course, he watched Alyssae, who was laying in the arms of the captain. He found them sweet together. She deserved someone who cared about her, someone who hadn't changed into some dark creature like Thorin had. He would love to see Thorin's face now. That would be hilarious. 
"That's a relieve," Dwalin mumbled after some bites. "Fortunately we aren't on a vegetarian ship."
Kíli chuckled. He supposed he could get used to this life. The open air, the shining jewelry of the elves and their merry songs pleased him. 
He liked the idea of not serving any ruler. Thranduil, Thorin... all those kings seemed to have been cut out of the same rotten wood. 
"Is the ship damaged by the storm?" he asked the captain. 
"Oh no, boy. This sweetheart can handle a little storm."
Kíli nodded and stared at him. When he noticed, he quickly turned his eyes to his plate. His red hair reminded him of Tauriel. Since Eldinòr was around he had to think about her all the time. For ages he had waited for her, but after three years he had realized she wouldn't come. He bet she was still held prisoner by that mad king and if not she had forgotten him. More than once he had stand on the point of getting her away from that sick place, but he had been wise enough to understand that he would be thrown into the dungeons immediately and he wouldn't be surprised if Thranduil would punish Tauriel as well. 

On the day Mirkwood came in sight, his stomach turned upside down. He was so close... and still there were thousand trees, spiders and whispering voices between them.
"I'm glad we don't go into that forest again," Dwalin grumbled, who stood next to him. They could both just look over the rail. 
Kíli did not answer, for his own feelings were quite contradictory. He turned his head to the other side, where green grass lands shelved as far as he could see. Somewhere here Fíli and he had hid themselves when Alyssae was drunk. Then his brother had disappeared, which had felt as such a long time he barely had the feeling they had caught up before he disappeared out of his life again. Forever.

When the sun was on her highest spot, they anchored. They jumped off the ship and Kíli was glad when his feet touched the ground. Somewhere behind these hills was the house of Beorn. 
"I hope he still lives here," he said to Alyssae.
"We'll find him."
Kíli nodded. He understood she felt the need to pay a dept, although his own kingdom owed him more. It was their fault the house of the skin changer had burned down to the ground. 
Beorn however turned out to have rebuilt his house on same place. It looked exactly the same, as if he had turned back time with some magical spell. 
"I hope he wants to see us," Dwalin mumbled. 
Kíli glanced at Alyssae. "Of course."
They had been some kind of friends. 

A moment later they stood still before a large door. Eldinòr pounded against the wood, but stepped back to make room for Alyssae. 
With a cracking sound the door opened. Nervously Kíli held his breath. He was afraid a bear would appear any moment, ready to tear them into pieces. 
"Beorn," Alyssae said softly and she bowed her head. A shiver crept down Kíli's spine when he observed the face of the man. There were deep scars in his neck and jaw. Tooth prints from an enormous warg. 
"Alyssae," he reacted surprised.
He looked at the rest of them and nodded to Dwalin and Kíli. 
"I am here to compensate for the damage we caused."
Beorn leaned against the door station and sighed. "No need to do that."
"You had to rebuild your house!" Alyssae protested. "Only because you offered us shelter."
"That was my own choice, my own responsibility. I knew who was chasing you."
Alyssae watched him for some time. "May we come in?"
"Sure."
He opened the door and with hesitation Kíli followed the elves inside. The room which they entered was filled with straw and there were sheep. Just like back then. As if nothing had changed. 
When he stepped into the dining room, still located on the right, he had the feeling to experience a déjà vu. He saw himself standing in the center of the room. The floor was soaked in blood and flames were consuming the wooden planks. Fíli stood beside him, upset for leaving Alyssae behind. Had he already loved her? Had his feelings already been so strong? Had he already been willing to die for her? Would they have stand here together if they hadn't find Alyssae?
"Are you okay?" Alyssae asked softly.
"Yeah,: he mumbled. 
She took his hand. "Those memories, huh?"
He nodded, glancing at the large table in the center. He was lower and smaller than the previous one, but since the design hadn't changed much he still had the feeling Fíli could step in any moment. 
"You have them too?"
Alyssae stared at a corner. She struggled with her memories as well, although he did not know what she was seeing. 
"Of course I do."