Chapter 95. [Bofur]

For months Bofur had hoped somebody would visit them to save them from this miserable dungeon, but he felt far from happy when Alyssae appeared in his range of vision.
He didn't know what to say. He hadn't seen her since she had left Erebor and he did not know what had happened since. Had she seen Thorin? When he had left Erebor behind more than two years ago, it hadn't been very probable, and the tone of Alyssae's voice indicated she wasn't here voluntary. 
"Can you leave us alone?" Alyssae asked.
Thranduil approved. "I wil wait for you upstairs."
An uncomfortable silence fell, only filled up by the dying sound of Thranduil's footsteps. 
To his surprise it was his little brother who made the first sound, even though it was only a bewildered sniff. 
"Does he keep you here as a prisoner too, Alyssae?" Bofur asked with a nasty feeling in his stomach. 
"At least I am allowed to walk around freely." She came closer and enclosed the bars with her hands. "How long has he imprisoned you?"
"I don't know," Bofur sighed, but it was far too long. He felt empty inside, as if all the merry memories he had lived on were devoured by now. He had tried to keep his head up and be strong for Bombur, but the silent darkness had crept into his pores, claiming every feeling of happiness. 
"We fled Erebor, but on our way to the south we were ambushed by elves."
Alyssae stared at the ground. "I do not hope this has happened so that Thranduil can keep me under his thumb."
Bofur couldn't think of another reason, unless Thranduil had only done this to tease some dwarfs. He had assumed so, until he saw Alyssae. "What does he want from you?"
Alyssae did not answer and Bofur laid his hands upon hers. They were surprisingly warm, and he rather not let go of them. 
"He wants me to become his wife."
Bofur cracked his eyes. "You won't agree, will you?"
She shrugged. "I don't think I have a choice. If I do something he disagrees with, he will hurt you."
"But you have to think about yourself," Bombur said softly. 
It had been long ago since Bombur had said something. At least weeks. Bofur had been afraid that he had became so introverted he had lost his speech,but Alyssae's appearance gave him hope. 
"Thranduil will do whatever he wants with us anyway."

It was true. Bofur didn't look forward to be tortured or killed by Thranduil, but the elf king wouldn't let them leave in one piece. "You have to escape." Bofur hoped she had changed much the past years, for the Alyssae he knew would never consider that. 
"I won't leave without you. I believe Thorin will come for me."
Bofur raised his head, looking right into her eyes. Did she know what horrible things he had done? Maybe he had succeeded in forgetting her. "I don't know if he will  leave Erebor," he said softly. He didn't want her to cling on false hope. "He is really attached to his throne."
"He gave his throne to Kíli. We decided to live in Chyndall together, after all this is over."
Bofur frowned, surprised. Clearly he had been here much longer than he'd thought. 
"Then he will come." He gave her a quick smile, but he couldn't help his own doubts. He had lost his confidence in Thorin years ago and in all honesty he wondered whether there was enough left of his old friend that he dared to fight his way into Mirkwood to safe the woman he had cursed from the bottom of his soul.