17. Don't Leave [Kili]

Kili saw them too late; the orcs that headed for the entrance and were retained by dwarfs who were not positioned in a way they could keep the access road free from intruders. His eyes flashed over the men, but he did not recognize his uncle.  An arrow slid between his fingers, cutting a hole in the head of an orc. He climbed down. He didn't think about orders and felt a numbing fear when he saw that every dwarf that tried to close the door through which the wounded were brought inside, was killed in a brutal way.

What were they doing? Had Thorin fled inside? He couldn't imagine. Did they believe Alyssae was in there? If he was honest, he didn't think they really believed she was here.

He jumped down via a protruding rock and bounced through his knees, while throwing a dagger in the temple of an orc who wanted to enter Erebor.

"Back down!" Kili yelled. It was a reflex and he didn't even think about it. Maybe it would only cause more misery when they turned their backs to the orcs now. Probably it was exactly the move their enemy was hoping for and he bit on his cheek with anger. He fought himself along the troop and got inside the mountain. The amount of wounded that laid there, was extending fast. 

A shock went through him when his eye caught his mother, who was driven in a corner by three orcs. 

"Mom!" he screamed, floated by dreadful emotions. He pulled an arrow from the shaft while he ran to her. He bashed his elbow in the face of someone who was standing in his way and shot his arrows at her attackers, screaming powerlessness, but it felt like the whole army was aiming at her. 

An enormous, almost black orc was clattering towards her and nailed her with his crossbow to the wooden door. Kili shot arrows until he had no more and then stormed with a raised sword to the orc who had dared to touch his mother.

Violently he cut off his arms, until he saw another orc drawing his sword, stabbing it in her chest. Her screams echoed in his head and he lowered his sword defeated, while he watched absently how the orc pulled his sword out of his mother and ran to one of the other caretakers.

"Mom," he whispered, tears running down his cheeks. He knelt beside her, paying no attention to the orcs around them. "Mom, don't leave me."

He took her hand and tried to feel her life force, but she shook her head slowly."It's okay, Kili. My time has come."

Kili shook his head angrily. "No!" he screamed. "You can't leave me. Not you too!" He glanced ardently around to see what could help her, but blood streamed out of her wounds and they were too deep to be healed. 

Vaguely he realized the other dwarfs had closed the door and were killing the surviving orcs, but they were too late. 

Crying he looked back to his mother. She stretched her hand toward him and brushed his cheek. He saw she tried to say something, but blood welled up in her mouth when she wanted to open it. 

"Don't leave me, mom," he whispered once more. He needed her. He didn't want her to leave, leaving him behind, like his father had. Like his brother had. Like everyone he loved had.