35. On The Way [Alyssae]

Alyssae stared at the water that splashed against the bow. She did not look at her kingdom, that disappeared slowly from sight, nor to the dark woods that surrounded them and in which Niamh would stay behind. 

With all man power they had searched for the girl, but after a week the search was called off. Niamh was gone. Raphael and Melline had promised to keep looking, but Alyssae had lost all hope. She could not help to wish she had put an end to the life of her child. The emptiness would still be inside her, but she wouldn't be ripped apart by doubts. Now she had not the slightest idea where Niamh was. Was she dead? Had she left by herself? Had somebody captured her? Was this Thranduil's reaction to her rejection?

Death might be the alternative most people wanted to avoid, but Niamh could be in a worse situation now, possibly in the hands of creatures intrigued by her powers, who wanted to use her for their own purposes. 

She felt ashamed for ending the search so quickly, of getting on this ship as soon as she could. And for what? For a man who hated her? She couldn't say she looked forward to see Thorin again. According to Kíli and Dwalin, he wouldn't receive her with arms open wide. 

"Take this." Eldinòr stood beside her and offered her a bottle. 

Alyssae shook her head. Niamh had already one parent who was a slave to his bottles and she didn't want to make the same mistake. 

"You'll see her again." He wrapped an arm around her. Alyssae had felt so miserable that she had ran to his arms as soon as he had stepped on land, of which she felt ashamed now. She had only cried, while Kíli and Dwalin had told the elf what had happened. "Such an extraordinary appearance as your daughter well surely pop up. We'll find her."

These words only strengthened Alyssae's guilt. Apparently he had been receptive for taking Niamh aboard, but she had judged too quickly and now Niamh was gone. 

"You want to go straight to Laketown?"

Alyssae shook her head. "No, if you don't mind, I would like to visit a friend first. I owe him much."

"Where does he live?"

"Do you have a map?"

"A captain without a map wouldn't come far, hmm?" He took her to the wheel-house and bowed over a table on which a map was spread. 

Alyssae looked at the map. With her fingertip she followed the course of the Anduin until she reached Mirkwood. "Here."

"You hear what the princess is saying?"

The coxswain turned around and grinned. "I do hear her." He bowed over the map and watched the spot she was aiming at. "Fine."

Alyssae watched the man. He wore a long coat that hung open, under which the skin of his upper body was visible. He had the same tattoo as Eldinòr on his chest. 

"I believe I haven't even introduced myself. I'm Philae." He shook her hand. 

"Alyssae."

He turned around, moving the wheel a little to the left. His dark hair was shining in the sun, and it even seemed to have a purple glow. 

"I will show you your cabin."

She did not answer and follwed Eldinòr over the wooden planks, until he stood still before a small cabin. She hadn't thought about sleeping apart from the others, but she was glad she did. 

"The dwarfs however will have to sleep with the other men."

"I foresee no trouble." Alyssae walked inside, looking around hesitating. There was a bed and a small table. The walls were empty, although she could she the traces of things that had once hung there. "This is your room, isn't it?" 

"Normally it is."

She turned around and peeked in his green yes. "I don't need a special treatment."

"We don't have a princess aboard every day. Just give us the impression we do something good for once. You will need your privacy." He grinned. "Especially when that dwarf of yours is here."

Unintentionally her cheeks turned red, by which Eldinòr chuckled. 

"But if you don't want to sleep alone for such a long time, I don't mind to return to my own bed a little sooner."

Alysae gave him a indignant push, where after he left the room, laughing.