22. Visitors [Alyssae]

Alyssae put a robe over her sleeping clothes, raking a hand through her hair while stepping into her sandals. If they were the dwarfs she knew, they had seen her less proper. 

She noticed her hands were shaking as she pushed down the door handle. It wasn't him. Of course it wasn't him. Alyssae almost prayed it wasn't him, for she had no idea what to say to him.

"Where are they?" she asked as soon as her eyes met those of Raphael. 

"At the gate. You want to receive them or not?"

"Of course." 

He glanced concerned at her belly. "I will get them."

Alyssae nodded, but felt a little defeated when he turned around and left her, knowing she couldn't even cross such a small distance. She put on more lights in her home and took some food out of the closet. Whoever they would be, they would be hungry.

Alyssae cooked some water to make tea, so that she could calm down a little. It was not to the baby's benefit if she was stressed, although she couldn't change it. Impatiently she waited until there was a knock on the door again. Laborious she stood up, but she reached the door sooner than she had done before. 

On the doormat stood two exhausted dwarfs and she gasped for breath when she saw how miserable they looked. 

"Kíli!" She wrapped her arms around the dwarf and pulled him close, although her belly prevented her from a tight hug. 

"Alys." His voice was a weak whisper and she noticed he leaned heavy against her. He was dead tired. She led him to a chair and aimed her eyes at his companion. It was Dwalin.

"Princess."

He nodded toward her, but Alyssae laid her arms around him. 

"I will prepare some food."

She was slightly panting when she reached the kitchen counter and she hoped they wouldn't notice. She cut some pieces of bread and laid a thick slice of cheese upon it. The maids would make something warm later. She put two plates on the table, followed by a cup of steaming tea.

She closed her eyes in relief when she sat on the chair again and folded her hands around the cup, watching the dwarfs. Dwalin hadn't changed much, although he seemed to have lost even more hair. Kíli's face however was hollow. His eyes laid deep in their sockets, his hair hung before his face and his beard was longer and more messy than she remembered. 

"What happened?" She barely dared to breath.

Kíli didn't answer, cramming food in his mouth in silence. He was worn out. 

"It's Thorin," Dwalin said softly. "He..." 

Sighing he shook his head and Alyssae watched him in fear. "Is he dead?"

"I wish he was," Kíli grumbled. 

All color faded from her face and she glanced nervously at Dwalin, who took a large bite from the food she had served him. "He isn't himself anymore." He did not look at her. "We've escaped Erebor."

"Escaped?" she repeated breathlessly. 

Dwalin and Kíli had faced so many dangers she couldn't imagine what would force them to leave everything behind. 

Dwalin stared at his fingers. He clearly had the feeling he was a coward. "He has thrown my brother in the dungeons."

"Balin?" she asked dazed. She knew the old dwarf would never be disloyal, unless Thorin had totally stepped off the right path. "Why?"

Kíli looked at her. "Because he said your name."

Alyssae had the feeling something dark and untouchable had slipped into the room. The feeling was so strong she looked around, but there was nothing to be seen. 

"Three years ago we were attacked," Dwalin told her. "The orcs had an elf and claimed it was you, trying to draw Thorin out. The orcs slipped inside and killed his sister. Since then, you are his curse. After a few months there was a ban on your name. Everyone who said it, was thrown into the dungeons." He bashed his knife into the table top. "Even we."