Chapter 93. [Raphael]

Raphael stared defeated at his hands. He couldn't believe what he had just heard. Alyssae had died. He felt just as lost as five years ago, when she had disappeared. Still he had always felt a spark of hope inside - and with good reason. After almost a year she had returned. 
This time it would be different. She was gone for good and he would only see her if his time had come and he would travel to the undying lands himself. He wiped his eyes, tears had appeared. More than four hundred years ago he had went to Chyndall, after he had been banished from Mirkwood. He had to start all over , while he had lied his life together to hide what had really happened. 
He felt relieved Alyssae had never known his friendship with her hadn't been very honest at the beginning. He had to come in contact with her parents to get the scepter and four hundred years later he had succeeded. It hadn't taken very long before he had considered their friendship as real, but still he felt guilty about the things he hadn't told her and his wife. 
And now she had been taken away from him. Raphael did not know how she had died, but she had undoubtedly fought to the bitter end. How should he tell this to Melline? He knew she couldn't process this. Not so soon after the dead of her father and the withering of her mother. 
And the kingship? That would come to him, and it was the last thing he wanted. He knew some believed he longed for power, but nothing could be less true. He had played enough political games. More than half of his life had been about 'buying' his sister back and despite all the sacrifices he had made, it had led him nowhere.

Raphael's eyes turned to the wooden door behind which Thorin had disappeared. He hadn't said much, had only stared at his feet while Iorwen told them Alyssae body's had been found, so heavily mutilated they had buried her immediately, before the crows would disgrace her. A shiver crept down his spine while he unwillingly imagined black birds with evil eyes tearing lose the flesh of her face. He tasted a sour flavor in his burning throat and he took some deep breaths. He had the feeling he fell in a dark hole, but suddenly it came to an end. She stood between the dwarfs, as if she was a supernatural appearance. Which she was - for him. 
Raphael couldn't think any longer. He ran to her, pushed away the dwarfs who stood  in his way and took her in his arms. 
"Tauriel," he whispered. A tear ran down his cheek. He didn't know whether it was caused by grief or joy. Raphael noticed she stood still like a statue and unwillingly he let go of her.
"Have we met before?"
Raphael did not know what to answer. He knew Thranduil had manipulated her memory, but he never had wanted to believe that was really true. He had taken away her youth. He had made her forget her family, while she had never done anything wrong.
"I..." he said softly, studying her face. "I am your brother."
He knew she wouldn't understand, but he felt sick of all the lies he had spread the last centuries, all in the name of Thranduil.