Chapter 76. [Alyssae]

Alyssae searched all the shelves, but both valuables were gone. She mumbled defeated to herself and couldn't dismiss the fear that Thorin would cross the line when the Arkenstone would turn out to be stolen. 
She however couldn't kept the truth secret. In the past she had spread too many lies, which eventually had led to even more misery. She crossed her arms before her chest and walked back to the dwarfs with growing nervousness. "The Arkenstone has been stolen."
Her eyes flashed to Thorin's face. She shouldn't be surprised when he grabbed her throat, but he still sat around the table, watching her awaiting. Her eyes went through Kíli, who sniffed. 
"I bet our dear elvish friend took it away as well?"
Alyssae thought about the ring. Why would he have taken that too? Did he knew its power? 
"Have you told anyone about the Arkenstone?"
Alyssae shook her head. "I haven't shown it to anybody." Sighing she leaned against the wall. 
"It doesn't matter," Kíli said in the end. "We've lost the stone years ago."
Alyssae stared at the floor, for she knew how much the jewel had meant to the dwarfs. So much that Thorin wanted to kill her for it. 
After a while Thorin cleared his throat. "Are you sure it's in Thranduil's possession now?"
"Of course not," she mumbled. "But who else would have stolen it?"
Thorin seemed a little tense. "Not to be rude... but a bit further ahead is a ship full of pirates."
"They would never do that."
He sighed. "Of course not."
Alyssae had to admit he had a point. She didn't knew everyone on the ship very well and they were thieves - however she put it. "I'll talk with Eldinòr about it." She said nothing when Thorin pulled a face. "I am sorry," she emphasized. "I thought it was well hidden ."
Kíli shrugged. "We can live without."
She wanted to walk to the door when it swung open. Automatically she touched for her waist, but she wasn't wearing any weapons.
A relieved sigh left her lips when the captain stood in front of her. "Never heard of knocking?" she mumbled irritated, while the bouncing of her heart slowly faded away. 
"I like to see you sweat."
She rolled here eyes by the hearing of that ambiguous remark, but she forgot him when Philae appeared on his side. "You have news?" she asked avidly. 
"Well, I am a little disappointed in the hospitality here," he answered. "I can barely enter this room."
Alyssae did not apologize, but walked with them and stood behind Thorin, while she laid her hands on his shoulders. 
"Give him something to drink, honey. That poor lad has traveled for days," Eldinòr noticed. 
She knew very well something could be said about her manners, but after the theft and the burning news about Niamh, others things occupied her mind. "Then get something for him yourself." She gestured impatiently at the kitchen. "Did you find Niamh? 

Philae took a crock filled with wine from his friend and drank from it. After a few greedy gulps he shook his head. "They haven't see her."
Alyssae stared at the ground. She should feel relieved, for her girl could better be anywhere but in Thranduil's hands, but the ignorance felt just as bad. 
"Are you sure?" The dead of her father, disappearance of her daughter and the theft of the Arkenstone... it all fitted! But now it felt as if she stood on ice again, with cracks that run in every direction. It was only a matter of time before everything fell apart. 
"Tauriel however could tell me some other things."
Kíli raised his head when he heard her name. 
"They are gathering their armies and we think they are heading for Erebor."
Alyssae was distracted when Thorin sighed frustrated. 
"He's such a scurvy snake."
Eldinòr took the crock from his friend and took some gulps. "I think our little trip to Chyndall is over now. If you planned to do a proposal, I suggest you'll do it now, for I will leave within five minutes." Eldinòr looked in Thorin's eyes. "Without your darling."