13. Dangerous Talks [Eldinòr]

Carefully he turned Alyssae around. He had never danced with a pregnant lady, but even with her baby bump he found her a real beauty. He noticed she looked longing in his eyes, as many women had done, although she wanted something different than all the others he had held in his arms. She didn't want to be touched. She wanted him to speak and she even seemed to use her charms to persuade him.

"How long will we play this game?" she whispered when his glance wandered to her breasts again, which were emphasized by the red dress she was wearing. 

He almost wanted to tell her that his tongue would surely become looser if she put out a piece of cloth, but he kept himself in control. She was a princess. He wasn't often in contact with royal families, except when they were hiring him, but he knew how to work up the respect she deserved. Maybe her status was making her even more attractive, for she was quite out of his reach and not for hire. Although it might also be that lovely persistent look in her eyes. 
"Game?" he repeated as innocent as he could. 

A scornful grin appeared on her face. "You think I don't know what your intentions are?"

He sniffed, even though her irony amused him. "I expect your current ... conditions will cause some limitations."

"You would be surprised."

Even though he knew she was only making fun of him, his heartbeat raced up. Her slim fingers curled around his wrist and she pulled him away from the others. A little surprised he followed her, until she pushed him against a tree and looked right into his eyes. 

"Tell me. What do you know about Thorin."

He glanced in her hypnotizing violet eyes. "That he no longer needs to wonder what beauty is hidden by that dress."

Oops. That was not very courtly. 

Alyssae's facial expression didn't change, but his eyes widened when she suddenly pushed a dagger against his throat. "I'm not in the mood for jokes."

He would have made a silly joke when her fascinating eyes hadn't watched him so coldly, or when he had been unaware of the fact that she had beheaded an orc commander without blinking an eye. She might be a beautiful woman, but she had shown that she was not a sweet little princess - one more reason why he couldn't deny he found her attractive. "You always take weapons to weddings?"

"As long as I'm carrying Thorin's heir, no enemy will come close."

"I am not your enemy, Alys."

"I will decide that for myself, Eldi." She pierced the weapon in his skin, causing a flickering of pain. "Now, tell me what you're doing here."

"You don't seem the kind of person that will accept my words just like that."

Her eyes twinkled dangerously. "Then do your best to convince me."

"Will you take away the knife?"

She smiled. "No. This is almost exciting."

"It is."

Her face was still steadfast and he rolled his eyes. 

"Is it strange that I want to be present at the marriage of my brother?"

"It is when he hasn't talked about you in a hundred years."

Eldinòr thought fast, but he couldn't come up with an explanation she would agree with. 
"Everyone has secrets. My way of life isn't welcomed with open arms everywhere."

Alyssae kept looking in her eyes, as a predator waiting to strike. Then she lowered the dagger. "The orcs. What do they want?"

"There's only one thing they want," Eldinòr answered shortly, wondering how she would react. 
"Which is?"

"Your head, milady."

At least he had expected her to gasp for breath, but she kept staring so intensely in his eyes he started to sweat for unknown reasons. 

"How do you know?"

Eldinòr shook his shoulders. "We hear everything, honey. If there's a filthy job to do, we're usually the first to hear. And with all respect, milady, but there's a nice price on your head. The last one whose throat you slid, apparently had fathered a son whose blood-thirst is a chip of the old block."