Chapter 37: Truth

"You won't believe me if I tell you." Tom starts to say.

I gripped onto his hands tighter. "I believe anything you say...I'll believe this as well..who saved me?"

"Um...Katie...it was your demon.." He trailed off.

I immediately pulled away from his grip and stumbled back away from him as I stared at him in complete shock. There was no way my demon could of saved my life. Why would Tom lie about something like that?

"N-no...you've got that wrong...she wouldn't save my life...she hates me she's probably praised Jennifer for stabbing me!" I yelled. Then I realised I made a stupid slip up. I just told Tom who stabbed me.

He stared at me. "What?"

"Forget I said anything." I mumbled.

"Jennifer, she did it. She stabbed you!" He yelled.

"Yes!" I shrieked. I shook my head feeling myself choke up with tears, I leaned my elbows on the rocky wall and rubbed my temples, trying to get my head round what Tom had told me.

I felt Tom's hand gently rest on my arm but I snapped my head up and swatted him off me.

"Get off me!" I snapped, turning my back to him.

"Katie, I'm telling the truth. It was your demon that saved you." Tom told me.

"Just shut up." I snapped again.

I rested my right handed palm on my forehead and closed my eyes, making 2 droplets of tears roll down my face. I didn't hear Tom say anything after that which must have meant he decided to give up talking to me. I dropped my hand away from my forehead and lay it across my stomach, exactly where Jennifer had stabbed me. I knew Tom wouldn't lie to me like this but it was hard believing it. I didn't want to fall out with him, literally just a few minutes ago we were telling each other that we loved each other.

Though Tom just dropped the bombshell. Maybe I was being a bit too hard on him. That's when I felt Tom hug me from behind, taking me gently into his arms so his arms were around my chest. I didn't shrug or swat him away this time, instead I closed my eyes and leaned my head back onto his chest.

"I don't know if I can believe you or not." I said, quietly.

"You can, I know it's hard to believe but she was insistent." Tom told me.

I opened my eyes, feeling tears fill up them again. "Stop lying to me."

"Katie, I'm not lying, I swear to you that she saved you. And maybe because she saved you, you can finally be free from her." Tom said.

I blinked and another tear fell onto my cheek. I felt Tom's index finger gently brush it away and then his finger fell under my chin. He turned my head towards his face and slowly leaned in before kissing me gently.

I nearly froze but managed to kiss him back. He slowly pulled away and smiled; gently resting his forehead against mine.

"Now do you believe I'm telling the truth?" He asked.

I smiled and nodded. "Yeah, but if I find out your lying..."

"I'm not," Tom cut in. "I would never lie about something like that to you ever, okay?"

I nodded and decided to turn around in his arms. His arms gently travelled down my back and stopped when they were loosely around my waist. I laid my hands on his chest and smiled at him.

"Jennifer..." Tom started to say.

I sighed. "What about her?"

"She stabbed you, why?" Tom asked me.

"Because she hates me. She blames me for making everyone miserable. I tried to tell her that I was sorry for what happened in year 9 but she was having none of it. We fought for a bit and I tried to grab the knife but by then it was too late..." I explained.

Tom sighed and pulled me in closer to him. "None of what she said about you is true, by just one of your beautiful smiles you light up everyone's faces."

This made me smile a little and Tom chuckled.

"See your doing it now, now I'm smiling," Tom laughed. "And just to let you know, when I see Jennifer she'll be lucky to get back on that bus alive."

I shook my head. "I think there's been enough bloodshed...don't you?"

He smiled and nodded, pressing a gentle kiss on my forehead. "Come on, let's continue that walk."

I pulled out of his grip and softly took his hand. As we continued to walk on Tom let go of my hand jogged up to a patch full of flowers. He crouched down and picked the biggest daisy that was there. He walked back over to me, twiddling the daisy with his fingertips before gently pulling strands of my hair back.

"What are you doing?" I asked, chuckling.

"Something nice." He replied as he poked the daisy in my hair.

I smiled as Tom studied me.

"There, perfect. Now you really do look more like a princess." He smiled, locking his hand with mine again.

"I'm not a princess." I smiled.

"Well you are to me." Tom said, kissing my temple.

I beamed a sweet smile at him as we continued to make our way to the beach...