Chapter 45: Fix this

I've been crying for ages now. I don't know exactly how long, but it felt like I've been crying for hours. I hadn't bothered to look at my clock and I didn't dare look at my phone. I just left it lying on the other side of the room, still pinging from the notifications. I let out a shaky sigh, staring down at my trembling hands. I'm about to let out another crying marathon again until suddenly I hear a knock on my bedroom door. I sniffle and look up at the brown wood.

"Katie, it's me, sweetie, I've brought up your dinner." I hear mum say from the other side of the door.

My stomach gurgled with hunger but I refused it. I didn't want to eat anything, I didn't feel like eating anything. I just wanted to curl up into a ball and cry even harder until there was no more possible tears to come out.

"Katie?" Mum questions.

"I don't want anyway." I manage to choke out.

"But it's one of your favourites, fish fingers and chips." Mum told me.

"I said I don't want any! Leave me alone, mum!" I snap.

There was a silence for a moment before I hear her footsteps descending back down the stairs. I rest my chin back on my knees and stare at carpet. Is this what it's going to be like from now on? Alone. Hated. Rejected.

Because that's what I am now. I've failed to be the better person. I failed my family, Tom, Quinn. I've even failed in myself. I've failed in everything. I feel so lost.

And now I don't know what to do.

***

Tom's POV
"Here you are, son. You're favourite homemade lasagne, cooked by moi." Dad smiles as he sets the plate down in front of me.

I slide my phone back in my jeans pocket and smile back at dad. "Thanks, dad."

"What was the trip like then?" Clara asks, already tucking into her plate of lasagne quite quickly.

"Alright actually. I did canoeing, building dens, partying...all sorts of fun stuff." I explain to my younger sister.

"Ooh, sounds exciting." Gran chuckles, taking a seat at the top end of table.

"It was." I say. I didn't tell them about the stuff that happened with Katie. There wasn't really any point to be honest. I've been trying to call her for hours since we came back but she's not been answering. I wanted to ask if she was alright because she seemed a bit jumpy in the hall. I sent her a few texts as well but she's not got back to me. I hope nothing bad has happened to her. I couldn't risk losing her all over again. The last time was far too painful. I was probably jumping to conclusions. She might be spending time with her family.

I sigh and continue to eat the rest of my dinner. Clara was banging on about some shit that went down at school today and apparently one of her classmates had a major cat scram in her English class. I wasn't really paying attention to be honest.

After I had finished my dinner I quickly left the room and ran up to my room, grabbing my phone out of my pocket just to check if I got a text from Katie. I did see a message notification pop up.

But it wasn't from Katie.

Jazz🤗: I feel so sorry for Katie, omg 😭

What the hell does Jazz mean by that? So I texted her back.

What are you on about?