Chapter 44: Lies

When me and Tom went back inside, Tom decided to start dancing with me crazily just to raise my spirits up a bit more. I could see Quinn and Amy, sitting on the bean bags, obviously having a big conversation. Had Amy managed to tell him?

"Hey," Tom says softly. "You know when you went to get Amy?"

I nod. "Yeah."

"Did she say why she was upset?" Tom asks.

I couldn't tell Tom about Amy, she told me to keep it a secret. But on the other hand, Jennifer had got to her and that's kind of my responsibility seeing as it was my fault that Jennifer attacked her.

"I don't know." I say quietly.

"What do you mean, you don't know?" Tom asks. "How can you not know what she said?"

"I just don't, okay!" I snap.

He sighs and rubs the top of my right arm. "Katie, please, I can tell when you're lying. Just tell me, okay."

I sniffle. "Jennifer."

Tom narrows his eyes in confusion. "But she's been in isolation all day?"

"No, she told Amy things, threatened her and then slapped her. And it's all my fault." I cry, tears filling my eyes.

Tom quickly grabs my hand and pulls me over out of the room and into the hallway, when he shut the door he immediately pulled me into a hug.

"It's not your fault, hun." He mumbles into my hair.

"I wish I never went on this trip." I say.

This time Tom doesn't say anything, he just hugs me tighter. His hug was comfortable, reassuring. I close my eyes and wrap my arms round his waist more; my head gently resting on his chest.

"Hun, you wanna go somewhere else to talk?" Tom asks.

"We've already done that." I remind him, referring back to when we were outside only 20 minutes ago.

"Yeah, I know, I mean somewhere away from the music, somewhere more quieter." Tom tells me.

I pull out of the hug and nod. "Okay, that'll be great."

To be honest I did need the peace and quiet. Away from the noise for now. Gently, Tom took hold of my hand and led me all the way to the boys side, he led me into a room which he was obviously staying in and smiled at me.

"Sorry it's slightly messy, Max and Jake aren't the cleanest people in the world." Tom tells me sitting down on the bottom bunk of the bunk bed.

I smile a little and walk over to him before sitting down next to him. There was a silence between us, not an awkward silence, a comfortable one.

"Thanks." I suddenly broke in.

"What for?" Tom asks, turning his head to face me.

"Just...for being there for me...if you weren't on this trip...I don't know...it sounds pathetic but I'll lose a part of myself. You helped me tell Mr Fisher about Cleo and Jennifer. You've made me laugh even though I didn't feel like smiling. You made me feel...special." I tell him.

"Well you are special. You're not just my girlfriend, you're a best friend, an amazing, beautiful person, inside and out, and anyone who can't see that, will officially be slain by me. And I mean it." Tom grinned making me smile.

"You're not just saying that to make me feel better, are you?" I ask.

Tom shook his head. "No, I'm not. It's the truth, Katie. Anyway, you know it is. I want to see that that cute Katie Lord smile."