How to be a Gay Ally

The title of this part is sort of a play on words, because allies of the LGBT+ community are called Straight Allies. Basically, I'm about to get real and teach the LGBT+ community to be accepting and supportive of the straight community.

A lot of you may disagree with me, or be cringing because they don't need any extra support, but I feel like this needs to be said. We constantly harp on straight people for judging us, but we judge them too. Maybe not as harshly, but we do.

Many a time have I seen a queer person look down on someone simply for being straight. One of my closest friends is guilty of this on a daily basis. They live their life as though they're an unproblematic god who can openly be disgusted with the dastardly cis/hets simply because they were oppressed. That's wrong.

I understand that straight people have a tendency to assume things before asking the proper questions. It really sucks, but they aren't going to change any time soon. However, they especially won't change if we don't try to educate them. We can't just scream at them to understand while we don't try to understand them. We're the oppressed ones, right? Screw them, they don't need us to understand. They have the world on their side.

That isn't necessarily true. In order for the world to grow and us to gain the rights we so desire, we need to work together and understand each other. The LGBT+ community should not be isolated from the cis/hets, nor should they be isolated from us. We should come together in one big community.

I strive for a world where I can look at someone, and see a person. Not a straight, not a gay, not a lesbian or a transgender individual. Just a person.

I strive for a world where it becomes automatic to ask someone their pronouns upon your first instance meeting them. Not a world where you have to drop constant hints until they finally pick it up.

I strive for a world where straight people don't look down on us, but also where we don't look down on them.

Anyways, just thought I'd rant for a bit. Hopefully this opened some eyes or provoked some thoughtful outlooks. Feel free to debate in the comments. I always reply when I can, so if you have a differing view or a similar view and would like to talk about it, I'll definitely be up to it. I love debates. Until next time, friends.