KT Tape

I intended to put this in an update with some info on DIY binders as well, but I think this requires its own update.

So, this topic is kind of controversial. A lot of people think KT tape is unsafe, and others think it's perfectly safe.

I was unsure of whether or not it's safe, so I got in contact with the KT Health company. They were very polite in their reply, so I'll go ahead and let you know what they said.

First, I approached the topic by introducing myself and asking their advice since I didn't know how to answer the inquiries I'd been getting. I asked if it was safe, or if they discouraged it. This is what they had to say...

~~~~~

"Alexi replied:
Macksimillion,

Thanks for reaching out! This isn't the first that we have heard about taping this area, and we know people have used the tape for night club events, fashion purposes etc. in a similar way. Our products do not contain any medication, additives or preservatives. Our tape products contain large amounts of elasticity, and was designed for continuous wear. to treat common injuries.

In our taping experiences, we are aware that there are some areas that are more prone to skin irritation, and we urge strong caution when taping in these areas. Armpits, ribs, clavicle/sternum, pectoral/chest, abdomen areas are a few to name. We've found even areas of skin that don't see the sun as much, or taping thinner areas of skin are more prone to reactions as well. We have found there are some risks with using fresh tape daily especially in the area one would be applying the strips. I'll provide some suggestions here that you can reference to help reduce the risk of experiencing an irritation.

1. To create a buffer between the skin and adhesive you can apply Phillips Milk of Magnesia to the skin prior to taping. Allow to dry, and apply the strips over the top. This can help reduce redness, and itchy irritations. Please note this is not something we have tested on the chest/nipple area.

2. We have seen irritation issues with applications being applied with too much tension. It is difficult for me to say to not over stretch the tape because of the application you are trying to experiment with. Be aware that adding too much stretch to the middle of the strip can pull and irritate the skin when you move. When these reactions occur, they often appear as blisters, and can even produce open sores. In our application videos and instructions we advise an anchor point of 2 inches on each end of the strip and to lay these points down with zero tension. If tension is applied on these points irritations, blisters, or abrasions can occur as mentioned. We advise low to medium amounts when stretching the middle portion of the strips, and no tension on the ends for best results. 100% stretch, and large amounts of tension are not recommended.

3. Our Original-Cotton tape is designed to wear 1-3 days and our Pro-Synthetic is 4-7 days on recommended areas. I'd suggest using our Original-Cotton, or Gentle-Cotton KT Tape versions as they aren't as aggressive on the skin compared to the pro tape.

Original: https://www.kttape.com/kinesiology-tape/kt-tape-cotton-elastic-sports-tape/

Gentle: https://www.kttape.com/kt-tape-gentle-tape/

4. Our products adhesion is strongest after 24 hours of application. Instead of using soap or water for removal we recommend using an oil based product if it needs to be removed prior to the recommended wear time, or if removal is difficult. I'll list some common household products that can be used here:

Coconut oil
Lotions
Baby oil
Baby oil gel
Olive oil

It is best to cover the strips in the oily solution for 5-10 minutes as the oil properties will help break down the adhesive. Do not rip off, and remove slowly. I've attached an image in case it helps to have a visual.

5. We have uncut versions of our tape that may suite you better for the application your trying as this would allow you to cut your own lengths. I'll provide a link to those rolls here: https://www.kttape.com/store/clinical-kinesiology-tape/uncut-cotton

I can't guarantee that irritations won't be experienced in this area, and I do urge strong caution when taping. We've received some testimonials from users who have used the tape successfully for binding. Please be aware however, that our focus is on common injuries, and a binding application is outside of our conventional use for the tape. Please let me know if there is any other information that may be helpful for those inquiring to you.

Best regards,

KT Tape

Alexi Aroca Customer Support

O: 801.224.2717
F: 858.947.3832
Hours: 8:30am-5pm MST
Monday-Friday

584 East 1100 South Suite 4 American Fork, UT 84003

www.KTTAPE.COM "

~~~~~~~

They didn't exactly discourage it, but they did recommend extreme caution. I wouldn't recommend using this product for binding if you have a larger chest size, and remember to keep to regular binding rules, even if it is made to wear for up to three days.

I can't tell you how to live your life, but I have heard stories of sports tapes causing damage to breast tissue when used for binding. I think the KT Health company has put a lot of thought into this, and they've given some good tips to avoid abrasions and blisters, as well as other forms of damage. If you do use KT tape, please follow their instructions and tips, as listed above.

I'm not endorsing this or telling you not to use this product, but I implore you, PLEASE use caution. Don't use it if you feel the slightest bit uneasy about it, and be as careful as possible. Keep a check on it constantly, and don't use it too much. It can still harm you. Any binding device can harm you. You have to be cautious when it comes to binding, so please keep that in mind.

Feel free to debate in the comments, but I will remain a third party, unbiased in any way. I haven't used this product and I don't know much about it.

If you'd like to speak with someone from the company, please feel free to email them. I'll leave a link below.

support@kttape.com

I hope this helped some of you!