The Effects of Estrogen

The following is a list of supposed effects that estrogen HRT can cause in DMAB persons. The main source I am using is wikipedia, with a few inputs from some trans women that I know in real life. There may be effects that I haven't mentioned, but I've included the majority of physical changes here. I don't touch much on psychological changes or serious medical changes, so remember to ask any questions you have to your doctor if you are considering estrogen HRT.

- Chest: Development of breast tissue. While this does not necessarily give you breasts, it does give you a little something. It also gives doctors more to work with if you decide to get implants. Depending on your body and fat distribution, you may develop enough breast tissue that it isn't necessary for you to have top surgery.
- Skin: Softer skin, and often thinner skin.
- Hair: decrease in hair growth on the body, and gradual decrease of facial hair growth. However, facial hair is primarily unaffected and will most likely not stop completely. Many trans women choose to undergo laser hair removal to stop the growth of facial hair. Eyebrows are unaffected. Body hair that grows will become thinner and possibly lighter in color.
- Fat: Body fat will redistribute itself in a more feminine way, such as around the thighs, hips, and butt, and in the chest area. Fat will often be burned from the shoulders and back, making them seem less broad. Fat will also increase in the cheeks and lips, making the face seem rounder. This change can take years to happen fully.
- Muscle: It will become gradually more difficult to maintain muscle mass, and a loss of strength is also very possible.
- Hips: It is possible that your hips may widen, but this is only if you start estrogen earlier on in your life. They may rotate forward, so some discomfort may be experienced.
- Acne: Skin will become less oily and will therefore have a decrease in acne.
- Hair Loss: There will most likely be a decrease in hair loss due to male pattern baldness, but there is no guarantee that it will stop once it has already started.
- Decrease in body oder.
- Genitals: The genital region will decrease in size and it will become harder to get or maintain an erection.
- Decrease in fertility.
- Decrease in semen production.
- Mood: Some people report changes in mood. You may become less aggressive, and your sex drive may go down.

Estrogen HRT cannot reverse the effects of puberty, and there is often very little, if any change in voice. Voice coaches can help you train your voice to reach a higher pitch, and I believe there are surgeries that can help.

Good luck, everyone. I hope this helped!