Trans Racism

This is a more serious topic. Please don't read this chapter if you are sensitive to racism or other problems facing poc.

Racism is a serious issue, especially in the trans community.

Trans people of color are so often discriminated against and looked down upon. It's honestly ridiculous. I wish I had some real advice on how to deal with it all, but all I can really say is to ignore it.

Be you, be happy, and screw the haters. They do not matter.

Surround yourself in friends and people who support you.

Please, be careful when you go out, especially at night. Keep mace on you if possible. I know it's a hard topic to think or talk about, but trans people of color have very high rates of being assaulted and/or raped. I don't know why, but people target trans people of color, especially trans women of color.

Be as safe as you possibly can, and try not to go places alone in the dark. That's all the advice I can really give, as a white person. I don't know what it's like. If you want to find ways you can be safe, I would recommend contacting other trans people of color, and cis women of color. They can probably help and offer more advice than I can.

Just remember, a knife is nothing in a gun fight. If someone after you has a gun, get out of there.