Legally Changing Your Name

This is tricky to explain because I live in Florida and Florida may have different procedures than other places. If you live somewhere else, I'd recommend looking up how to change your name in your specific state, but this could still be helpful.

First off, look it up and find the right information for your area. I'll be going through the Floridian steps, and many of them may apply to other states and territories as well.

You'd need to file a petition for the change. Talking to a lawyer and figuring everything out is the best way to go about this. You also need to contact local law enforcement and have your finger prints taken. Don't forget to ask for a fingerprint card that will be filed when you request your name change.

Next, you have to complete a Florida Name Change Petition in the presence of a certified notary, who will verify your identity and make sure the signature is actually yours. Then they'll sign the petition as well to show that you signed it under the proper conditions with them there.

Have two copies ready of both the petition and the fingerprint card. You'll have to go to your local court house and file them there. There will be a small fee to pay, and then they'll give you a case number. Before leaving, make sure you ask how to schedule a hearing, just to make sure you know what's going on and how to do everything. They'll get you a date and location. Make sure you check up before the day of your hearing so as to make sure you're still scheduled.

If everything works out properly, the judge may not even require a final hearing. However, if they do, just bring the copy of the petition and a copy of the judgment (which you'll receive at the first hearing) to court with you. The judge will ask a few questions, but don't worry. It won't take too long and it isn't too nerve-wracking from what I've heard.

After receiving the legal right to change your name, you have to actually go to all the government agencies and everything and change it with them. For example, the DMV and the Social Security office. You'll probably have to request a new social security card and birth certificate, and you'll definitely need a new driver's license.

Different things will vary and small processes can be different for everyone. In the end, though, your name is changed and you hopefully feel better with yourself. Good luck!