Social Transitioning

When people who aren't trans refer to transitioning, they tend to only think about the medical side of it. Surgeries and hormones, but oh, there is SO much more to it than that.

You have to transition socially as well, and that's sometimes the hardest part. Coming out, living as the gender you really are, dealing with people before you can medically transition; it's all part of it.

I've already talked about coming out and stuff, so this should be a short enough topic.

Everyone's journey begins with figuring out who they are. Once you have that figured out, your story can vary vastly from one person to another. For example, someone may not come out before they start their medical journey, and another person may be out for years. Someone may decide not to transition medically at all.

Let's narrow this down and talk about social transitioning. This starts as soon as you come out to someone. You start going by your real name and proper pronouns, and it feels really great when people actually use them.

However, your social transition will most likely involve heartache and struggle as well. Some people won't accept it. You may be bullied or harassed. Your own family may not even accept you. It's tough to figure out, but it all happens and you will get through it. Just stick to the people that support you.

You will eventually be able to live as the gender you identify with, though you may be misgendered from time to time, and you'll probably always be misgendered if you're nonbinary.

Coming out at school and work is hard. Coming out to anyone is hard. It's awkward and it makes things difficult, but it is doable. Society has a large role in how you see yourself.

Once you're able to live as the gender you truly are, everything will feel so much better, especially if you pass well. Let me know if you have any questions about social transitioning!