Parenting

I'll cover two sub-topics in this chapter, those being parents of transgender people and transgender parents.

• Parents of transgender people---
Please respect your kids. Don't belittle them or feign support. Actually support them. I'm not telling you to let your twelve year old start testosterone injections, but at least sit down and talk to them. Let them know that you love them for who they are, not just what label they fall under. Consider puberty blockers in younger trans kids, and support and encourage teens who are too old for blockers. When they turn eighteen, help them change their name and/or gender marker. Help them start the journey for hormones and surgery. If they get surgeries, help them through the recovery process. Most of all, just be there for them.

There is nothing more helpful than a family that makes an effort for you. If you have a trans kid, and they come out to you, they are trusting you as their parent with an absolutely vital part of themself. They've had to gather the courage and strength to risk humiliation and worse.

Don't just affirm your kid's suspicions. Don't break their trust or treat them differently.

Try your best to use their name and pronouns. That's all they need, trust me. They just need a little effort to be made.

And Trans people who are parents---
I don't have much experience with this, obviously, but I can theoretically give some pointers because I'm studying to be a psychologist. A child's mind begins to form a capability of higher understanding around the age of six or seven. It continues to develop through adolescence, so the appropriate time to talk to your kids about LGBT+ issues is kind of controversial. I think it would be best if you would try not to hide your past from your children. Don't hide away old photos and albums. Share them, and if the kid asks questions, answer truthfully. That makes it easier to process when you drop the ball, because your kid has a right to know. Having a sit-down conversation is awkward and difficult, but you want to protect your kid from the ignorance of others, so you need to help build and construct their views during childhood. Then, perhaps before they enter middle school, have a real conversation with them about diversity, and let them know that everyone is different, and that difference is what makes the world so beautiful.

Create a foundation for your kids. Don't worry so much about whether they'll see you as the parent you want to be. Don't worry about whether they'll still love you after figuring it out. They're kids. They'll love you no matter what.

I can't really say too much more on that matter, so I'll close this off now. Good luck on your parenting, guys, even if said parenting is a long way away.