Trans Sexism

I talked briefly about racism, so I figured I'd tackle sexism as well, in many aspects.

Firstly, let's talk about sexism outside the trans community. Trans women, once they've transitioned and had their gender marker changed (if they even want that), have to deal with the same type of sexism that cis women do. They're often paid less, discriminated against in the work place, and thought inferior. That's all if they pass and aren't necessarily out as trans. If your coworkers know you're trans, it can be even worse. It could even become dangerous. At that point, you should go to a manager or someone in the workplace that you know is safe to talk to.

Now, not all workplaces are like this anymore. Some are very accepting places.

Cis people often look down upon trans women more than they do anyone else, because in their eyes, these women are still men, even though they weren't really men in the first place. This can lead to derogatory terms like pansy, he-she, shemale, and faggot.

When dealing with people like that, just get yourself out of the situation quickly and don't engage them.

Now, let's talk about sexism in the trans community. I've seen this a lot, and honestly, it disgusts me.

I've seen trans women be discriminated against in the trans community just for being women. I have literally seen people online say that "trans women aren't a real part of the community. They're drag queens who went one step too far." That's the most ridiculous thing ever, honestly, and I'm ashamed of the community for allowing comments like that to slide. Trans women and trans*feminine people are just as much a part of the community as anyone else! Just because they're women doesn't make their experience any less valid!

Now then, let's tackle the other end of the spectrum. I have been told multiple times, by queer people, that I have no place in the community because I'm just a little girl running from society's prejudices against women, which totally isn't true. It doesn't happen often, but it happens enough for me to feel the need to talk about it. I think it's bullcrap that we treat people differently based on their gender, especially within our own community. I just thought it needed to be said.

As far as that goes, guys, if you ever face sexism in the community, shut that shit down. Do not just stand by and let it happen, even if it isn't necessarily happening to you. It is our job to keep this community as supportive and loving as possible, okay?