DIY Binding + Other Shortcuts

Another controversial topic!

There are tutorials and tips out there, supposed to teach you how to make your own binder. A lot of people who can't afford binders make them from camisoles or sports bras that they alter.

Yes, these binders may accomplish the desired result. They may make your chest look flat. They may alleviate your chest-related dysphoria.

But they are NOT safe.

I do not mean to undermine anyone who has told you they are safe. Those people have probably not done the necessary research. They want to help, and they mean well, but you will endanger yourself if you attempt to make your own binder.

Binders are specifically designed to create even compression over your whole chest. They are designed to be safe and comfortable. That's why we have companies such as GC2B and Underworks. Those companies know what they are doing, and they know their products are safe enough for regular wear.

A DIY binder is not designed well. It is designed quickly and sloppily to achieve a result that endangers your health. The pressure they create is uneven. They can cause bruising and/or cracked ribs. They can cut into your skin and make you bleed if the material is not right, or if you make it too tight.

They are not worth the risk. Sometimes they don't even flatten your chest that much. They aren't reliable. Your health is more important, okay? Please, if you can't afford it or don't have a way to get it, then find other ways. Have a friend who supports you get it. Pretend you need it for a cosplay or something. Anything to refrain from making one.

Like seriously guys, it's almost as bad as ace bandages.

If you really can't get your hands on a safe binder, then wear a sports bra. You can wear a sports bra that's a size too small, and it won't hurt you. You still need to obey the rules associated with wearing a binder, but the pressure is much more even and it doesn't put quite as much stress on your ribs.

I just want y'all to be safe. Seriously, that's all I care about. If you have differing views and want to use a homemade binder anyway, then fine. Be my guest.

If I can talk just one person out of it, then that's enough. I hope this helped. I really do.