The Effects of Testosterone

This will be a list of both the permanent and not permanent effects that testosterone hormone replacement therapy can have.

***Please note that the effects vary with each individual and whatever happens to you may not exactly fit how I describe and categorize the effects below!***

*Permanent Effects*
- Hair: On T, body hair grows a lot more. You may get facial hair and thicker leg and armpit hair, etc. etc. As far as facial hair goes, if you stop T, it will stop growing once the T in your system is used up, but it won't fall out. It'll still be there until you shave it off, and it won't grow back after that. Other body hair will gradually get less thick and stop growing so much. As for the hair on your head, any hair loss will unfortunately be permanent.
- Voice: On T, your voice will deepen and you might even grow an Adam's apple. These changes are permanent and will not change if you stop taking T, but you can raise your pitch again if you take estrogen supplements as prescribed by a medical professional.

*Temporary Changes*
- Body Fat: On T, your body fat will begin to redistribute itself around your abdomen and act as padding for your internal organs, abandoning the curvy feminine shape of thighs, hips, and such. If you stop taking T, body fat will gradually go back to its original patterns.
- Muscle Mass: On T, you will likely gain more muscle, especially if you exercise. On T, it is easier to gain muscle mass, but if you stop taking T, you will gradually lose muscle mass and it will become harder to keep muscle mass.
- Mood: On T, people often experience mood swings or changes in mood. Obviously these are temporary and inconsistent. You may also experience elevations in sex drive.
- Menstruation: On T, your period may stop between 1-6 months. If it doesn't, you may want to consult your doctor. Unfortunately, this change is temporary and you may begin having a period again if you ever stop T. However, permanent sterility is a possibility.
- Breasts: Unfortunately, they won't disappear, but they may become less firm or even drop a cup size or two as your body fat distributes itself in a more typically "male" pattern.
- Acne: On T, the skin becomes rougher and more oily, and can therefore result in more acne. Washing your face often and using acne creams can decrease the amount of acne, and as you continue to take T, you should adjust and acne should decrease.
- Genitals: T can cause the clitoris to enlarge and become more sensitive, and the vagina to become dry and more fragile. Extra lubricant is recommended during vaginal sex, and condoms or other latex barriers are still necessary. This effect may or may not change after stopping T. TESTOSTERONE IS NOT A CONTRACEPTIVE AND CAN NOT PREVENT STI'S OR PREGNANCIES!!!

There may be other effects that I haven't mentioned, but those are the main ones. Remember, you don't have to go on T if you don't want to. Not all trans guys do.

P.s. If you don't want to go on T, but still want to stop or at least regulate your period, talk to your doctor about birth control. I know a few trans guys who use it to stop their period, and lots of people who use it to regulate their period. Good luck!

** If you have any questions, comment them and I'll answer them as well as I can.