Does being trans define us?

Absolutely not. I am so much more than just a trans person, and every trans person is different.

Being trans is a huge part of our identities, yes, but it is not the only aspect. Someone who knows you're trans does not necessarily know you.

For example, if I told someone I was trans, they still wouldn't know anything else about me. They wouldn't know that I want to be a psychologist, or that I write in my spare time. They wouldn't know that I'm a shit cook or that I can't stand disorganization. They wouldn't know me, because I am more than just trans.

That goes for all trans people. Your personality is made up of so many different factors and experiences. Being trans is not your most significant factor.

Even the experience of being trans is different for every person.

I know a lot of trans people that worry about ever amounting to anything greater than "that trans kid," but the truth is. We're all already greater than just "that trans kid."

We are people. Colorful, brilliant people with unique outlooks and experiences. We are a community of individuals. It is so important to remember that.

Okay, so this update was kind of short, but I had to say it.

Also, shameless self-promo, I have a book out called Charlotte's Law, and y'all should totally check it out. It's about a trans boy in the eighteenth century. Thanks! I'll post the link.

http://my.w.tt/UiNb/Y4EANNfcdF