Chapter 39: Hate

Mason's P.O.V

Valerie and I haven't talked to each other in a while. We don't sleep in the same room anymore, she just doesn't want to talk to me. I don't know why. I guess I did something wrong but she was wrong too.

Sometimes we exchange glances with each other but I notice that little by little she's packing stuff up and away. She dyed her hair purple…. Everything is different.

No more. I demand answers. I was waiting around for her to come from eating lunch in the dining hall.

She was taking a long time… I went to see, she was still around here. I can sense her presence, but where is she? We recently hired a maid. She seems nice.

“Valerie~!” I say to absolutely nothing. She wasn't in the dining room.

“Hello! Sir, Can I assist you in anyway?” She asks.

“Oh, I was just looking for Valerie. Have you seen her,” I ask.

“I've seen her around. Um..may I ask? Uh, are you having problems?” 

“She won't talk to me, hardly even looks at me. I don't know what's wrong with her.”

The maid nods her head. “Sorry sir, I'm 32 years old...and haven't dated so, can't help you there.”

“It's not a problem. I'm just gonna go look for her.”

As soon as I turned around she was there. She looks upset. “Valerie, what's wrong?”

She didn't answer me. She was looking at me but she wouldn't answer me. I sat her down. I didn't exactly know if I could touch her…

“Valerie? Hey, did I do something?”

She had this bored expression on her face. I looked all over her… she got a tattoo on her leg.
“What's going on? Why are you doing all of these things?”

“I don't want to talk about anything Mason,” she said. Finally showing me some type of…. Whatever.

“But you got a tattoo, you dyed your hair purple, what's wrong? Is there a life change happening? Seriously though, did I do something wrong?”

“No. You haven't done anything wrong. No one is wrong here. I just… I don't want to be here anymore.”

What? “Why not? You were so hung up on being the Queen and I know I took your crown and the staff away from you but this is what you dreamed of for a while. Why do you want to leave?”

She put her head down. She really looked like she didn't want to talk about anything. I put my head down too.

“Come on, get up. I have to clean there you know. Miss Valerie, I don't know what's wrong but, how can you expect Mason to help if you, well are being moody.” Rosa says holding a broom.

Valerie didn't say anything. She got up and left. “Uh… thanks Rosa, I'll take her to the balcony… Valerie wait!”

I chased her down the hall. She wasn't walking fast she was actually walking at normal speed. I grabbed her arm to make her stop.

“Valerie, what's wrong?”

She sighed. “I really wish you'd leave me alone.”

“I won't leave you alone until you tell me what's wrong. We're going to the balcony, it'll feel magical,” I said moving my fingers.

We walked all the way up to the balcony. It was rather windy outside.

“You gonna talk now,” I ask.

“Mason, I am fine.”

“You don't talk to me anymore and I demand to know why,” I gripped her arm on accident.

She looked down at it and then up at me. “Do you really wonder why? Quite frankly, I don't care what anyone else thinks about me, because really you're the only opinion that matters but when I have to be in the same place as you and hear you say things about me and do stuff in my face, it hurts.”

“What did I say? What did I do?”

“Anything you can think of. How much you hate me, how much you wish I didn't exist, how much you regret the day that we even became something, you hate everything about me. You went around here and flirted with the other girls here and I'm suppose to have a smile on my face about it? So I ask you, why do you not care about me? As much as you pretend, why?”

I did say those things about her, I admit. I can't explain it myself but I don't know… “I'm sorry.”

“Sorry isn't going to fix anything! I know about your past Mason, as much as I wish I didn't I know. If you hate me so much then why are you here? Why am I here,” she says.

“Because you--”

“Don't you dare say it's because I love you! Mason, when the guy you love talks shit about you and does stuff in front of you, it really hurts. I wish you would have told me how much you hated me instead of getting drunk, taking my belongings, flirting on a daily basis, with other girls! I'm embarrassed. Everyone around here is talking about it and I have to go around every corner to hear things over and over.”

She started tearing up. I reached my hand out to her but she hit it away. “Don't touch me. I just want to know why? You weren't drunk all of those other times. You weren't drugged those other times. You were very well aware of what you were doing. So why?”

“I don't know…”

“You don't know? You DON'T KNOW!! That isn't an excuse Mason! I gave you a chance because I thought that maybe you left your past behind but I never should have.”

I rubbed my arm. “I'm sorry Valerie what more am I supposed to do?”

She stepped back. Her hair started changing back to the way it use to look and her eyes too.

“Be a man and admit that you're wrong! Why do you hate me Mason, why are sickened and disgusted by me!”

“I was saying those things because of what happened with the whole Mia and Law situation…”

“That's it? Okay…” She wiped her tears away and walked off to her room. I followed behind her.

“Okay? So are we good then?”

“Are you kidding! No! I don't know what to say or do Mason! I just know that this isn't right and I don't want to be here. I found a place and I'm leaving right now.”

“I'm coming with you,” I said.

“Don't bother. I'm sure you wouldn't want to be in the same place as someone you hate. I'm sorry that I can't match up to be whatever Mia was or is to you. It's obvious you have some type of feelings for her otherwise this wouldn't be happening. She's my friend so it isn't her fault but, you…. You have a woman! She has a man!”

“We're still together though right….” Don't do this to me right now.

“You're so selfish. Yeah whatever we are, we are but I don't want to see you for a while. Get your shit together and then maybe if you can gather up the guts to be a man and not be grotesquely horrified by me, then just maybe you can come and find me, but for now, don't bother.”

She grabbed her bag and left. I was on the ground and grabbed her legs so she wouldn't go but she dragged me along until she finally electrocuted me and then left for sure this time.

“Sir, I'm going home now, I felt your meal out… I will be back tomorrow in the morning.” Rosa pats my shoulders.

“Oh… okay… thank you,” I said and got up.

“Sir, if I was in her shoes, I would have left your ass a long time ago! I can't believe you. Sir, write down all that you did and make an explanation for it.” With that Rosa left.

Right… I'll do that… no one else is around here. This place actually became out of control when I took everything away from her… I ate in silence and went to go to her room to sleep. This room had so many cracks and holes and broken things in it. Her shower was broken, the glass door was cracked, the tub was in half…. I didn't mean it….