Chapter 31

Two weeks have passed and Eric has been working a lot so I haven't seen much of him. We haven't been talking at all except for the occasional 'Ean needs...' I haven't bothered to apologize for what I said and I haven't felt the need for making things better even though I wanted them too.

Peter came over today and with a lot of questions on how Eric has been acting lately.

"Did you tell him? Is that what's going on? He's been out of his mind lately, even more than usual!"

"I just repeated what you said to me that one time. I couldn't get what you said out of my mind. You're right he plays games and he's vindictive," I say occupying myself by making a sandwich.

"Make it stop. All the guys have been pulling double and triple shifts on guard. No one has been getting any sleep. He's been so strict that all the guys on the force are bitching about it, even the toughest."

"I have no say in what Eric does, Peter. It's not like he'll listen to me anyways." I say. "Besides he's barely ever home. We haven't spoken in two weeks."

Peter sighs. "Please. You're the only one who can do something. I shouldn't have even said anything in the first place. I just can't stand you both. You have your faults too Elena, don't look so surprised there." He rolls his eyes. "Something needs to change here with you two. That's no way to raise not only one, but soon to be two kids."

"He won't listen to me. He's not going to accept my apology I said some pretty mean things and you know Eric he's hot headed," I sigh "I have my first appointment today, maybe I can ask him to go with me instead of you." I huff. "Can you watch Ean while I go to Eric's office?"

Peter nods. "Please do something. I would like to get some sleep tonight."

I smile and head out the door into the compound toward dauntless leadership. I see Max and I sprint to catch up to him.

"Hey Max, do you know where Eric is?"

"He's out right now." Max is suspiciously short about it and he keeps walking as if to blow me off.

I follow him and call out from behind him. "Can you tell me where? It's kind of important."

"No. Unfortunately, I'm of no help to you. Now if you excuse me, I've got to be going now."

I grab onto his arm and he gives me a look that makes me immediately unhand him. "Please Max, it's about the baby," I try to persuade.

"No. I can't. If you want to wait in his office though, he should be back in an hour."

"Fine." I huff and head to Eric's office sitting in his comfortable chair.

Max wasn't wrong, it's been over an hour when Eric finally walks into his office, startled to see me there.

"What are you doing here? Who's with Ean? Does he need anything?"

I shake my head. "Ean's fine, Peter is watching him." I stand up from his chair. "Where were you?"

"Can't say. Max's orders."

"What if something happened to the baby? I don't like that I can't get ahold of you," I say sweetly.

"Does it really even matter to you?" He laughs.

"Yes it matters to me, you're the father."

"Oh. Funny. According to you, I play these games and I just like Eric. I have no love for anyone and so on. I wouldn't think it would matter to you who I am since you've made those feelings clear about me. If anything, I'd figure you'd be happy about it!"