Chapter 52 (Special Eric's POV Chapter)

*****ERIC'S POV******

Four years that Audrey and I have been together romantically. Four years and everyday she progresses a little bit more, giving me the hope of someday with her. It's been years since she actually drank the memory serum and compromised every precious memory that made her who she was and she was just finally getting back to who she truly was having made new memories to fill the void of the old ones.

I worked a shit ton. I did what I had to do. I went home and was a father to my children. Then, I repeated it all the next day and attempted to keep a good balance of my time spent with Audrey.

Elena and I barely talk anymore, as much as it was a blessing at first, I miss it sometimes. I'm Dauntless, I enjoyed the fighting, just not the disobedience. She's learned since then. The kids got older and she went to work, surprising both Max and I with how much she's changed.

I finally managed to nab a weekend day off, which meant time with my kids. I planned on taking them all out around the compound, but the plans got completely changed when Audrey's doctor called me and claimed she was better than ever before. I'd been waiting for an opportunity like this to introduce Phoenix to Audrey, not that I would tell either who the other is, but I think one day I would explain it all to him. He deserves to know and although I'd never admit to it, I feel guilty he thinks she's dead, but she's just not stable. She's not the mother he needs.

I promised the other five that I would take them out after I ran a quick errand with Phoenix, despite all of their protests at first. As soon as I put my foot down though, they knew their was no arguing. My little army.

Phoenix and I made our way to the hospital. We arrive and he looks very confused.

"Dad? Why are we at the hospital? What do you have to do here?" He gives me a puzzled look.

"I want you to meet a friend of mine, son." I pat his shoulder. It's incredible how much he's sprouted up in the last couple of years, he's going to be the tallest out of the bunch I can already tell.

Phoenix nods. I love how he never argues me. He knows not to challenge me outside of training. All the kids seemed to be quick learners, good soldiers.

We walk into the room I seem to have spent years in with Audrey. The light streams in and she gets up to greet me. She soon after notices Phoenix standing beside me, she has no idea who he is.

"This is my son Phoenix. Phoenix, this is my friend." I introduce the two.

Audrey smiles and Phoenix extends his hand. Phoenix had the courage that some of the kids seemed to lack pointing to the possibility of yet another one staying in Dauntless.

"It's nice to meet you," she crouched down in front of him. "You look just like your father." She grins widely.

"It's nice to meet you too. I-I get that a lot." Phoenix smiles. I know he's still confused on why he's here.

"How about we all go for a walk and get out of this room?" I suggest.

They both nod and for once I get to see the little similarities I wouldn't have pick up on if the two weren't right next to each other.

Walking the halls of the hospital I watch as Audrey talks to Phoenix about school and combat. He seems somewhat eager to talk to her and I wonder if it's because I don't talk to him enough.

The hospital is getting busier as the walk progresses and we're almost back to the start when a mental patient is brought in screaming.

"They're coming! They're here! They're here! You have to help me please! They'll kill me!" The man shouts. He looks directly at me and then Audrey, "Help me, Miss." The mental patient pleads.

My head snaps to Audrey and it's as if someone has hit the reverse switch on all the good and progress that we've done. I can see the crazy back in her eyes.

"T-They're here?" She says to the man. She grabs the thing closest to her--Phoenix, yanking so hard so might have broken his arm. "They're going to kill us?" The crazy look returns in her eyes as she squeezes on Phoenix's arm tightly, her nails digging in his skin.

He shouts out in pain.

"Do it before they do," Audrey seems to mumble to herself. She yanks Phoenix and then grabs him by the throat.

It's as if something within me snaps. Before I know what I'm doing I yank both of Audrey's arms, releasing Phoenix. I shove Audrey back so she flies into the nearest wall, having unleashed all of my adrenaline pumping through me on her.

I look to Phoenix who is silently crying, tears streaming down his face. "Are you alright, son?"

He doesn't respond except to point at where I had thrown Audrey. I look up and see what he's talking about. Blood is gushing from her head.

Doctors and nurses around us finally seem to catch on in the seconds that has lasted a lifetime. They start to swarm around Audrey and Phoenix. I stay by Phoenix's side and look over at Audrey, yet she seems unresponsive.

A doctor approaches. "I'm sorry, sir. She's gone."