Chapter 22

The next morning I woke up to the sound of the baby crying. He was already getting so big and time was passing by, I realize I've done nothing with my life since I've gotten into Dauntless, stuck in a rut in Eric's apartment.

I hold Ean and bring him into the kitchen where Eric is eating cereal. I put Ean in his high chair at the table to Eric. I walk over to the fridge and make his formula and then pick Ean back up to feed him in my arms.

"Good morning," I say to him.

"Morning," he continues to chew his food.

"Work today?" I ask.

"Like always," he huffs.

"I want to go out-"

"Elena, we've talked about this," he says annoyed.

"I know, I know." I look away from him. "I just get bored in-"

"I'd rather you be bored than be in danger," he growls.

"I don't want to live this way," I rub my forehead.

"Stop arguing with me," he sighs. "Do you want a repeat of what happened last time you went out?"

I cross my arms and feel slightly embarrassed. Before I can say anything the front door opens and there's Vanessa.

"What is she doing here?" She gives me a dirty look.

"I'm the mother of his child, skank." I roll my eyes.

"And I'm his girlfriend." She crosses her arms. "This doesn't look like a visit with your son. More like an overnight visit with my boyfriend," she looks at my pajamas.

"Vanessa, Elena, stop. I'm not in the mood for this. It's too early and I have work."

"If you're going to work, tell her to leave then. I'll stay here with my son."

"I'll be wherever I want to be. Right Eric?" She smirks.

"Shut up. Both of you." Eric grumbles.

"Will you give it up?" I laugh in Vanessa's face. "You aren't his girlfriend."

"Yes I am," she shoots a look at Eric, her eyes wide.

"You are both nothing to me. Now stop talking. I don't need a headache before work."

Vanessa looks flustered and walks toward Eric sipping his coffee, she puts her hand on his chest and gives him the most ridiculous puppy dog eyes that make me almost vomit. "Tell her to leave, and I'll-"

"You're ridiculous," I mumble under my breath.

"That's it," Vanessa shouts. "It's me or her Eric. I'm tired of her conniving bitch ways."

"Let's not do this right now Vanessa. Come on. Let's go." Eric grabs Vanessa by the wrist and starts walking to the door.

"So it's me?" Vanessa looks up at Eric with that disgusting face of hers again.

"No. It's the door. I told you to drop it and you didn't." Eric shoves Vanessa out and slams the door, luckily I was able to see her shocked face and hear her stammers before it slammed.

A devilish smirk spreads on my face as I head into Ean's room, pick him up, and feed him his formula at the kitchen table. Eric comes back to resume drinking his coffee, he catches me smiling at him.

"Don't look at me like that. It wasn't for you." He smiles down at his coffee contradicting his words.

"I know," I look at Ean. His eyes still shut, but chugging down his formula. "I just really enjoyed watching that."