Chapter 50

The next morning is hectic and I have a pounding headache as I get the children ready for school. They seem different, more quiet than usual and I can only expect for the worst has happened.

At the kitchen table I hover over them and cross my arms. "Spill, what have you guys heard?"

"You and Dad are getting a divorce," Ean says looking over at Eric taking a sip of his coffee.

I look at Eric waiting for him to respond.

"No. That's not true. I love your mother." Eric looks me in the eye.

I almost want to laugh. But I don't.

Ean plays with his food.

"Don't listen to other kids," I grab their finished plates. "Dad and I are not getting a divorce, everything you hear are just rumors." I ruffle Phoenix's hair as I grab his plate and put it in the sink. "Now go, get ready or you'll be late."

Ean stays back and goes into the living room where Eric scurried off too. I lean closer to the doorway to hear what they're saying.

"Dad..." Ean says wearily.

"What is it, son?"

"I-I heard you from the kids," he tip toes around the subject, "that mom cheated. Are you guys really not getting a divorce?"

"No. We're not. Ignore the other kids. Don't you think mommy and I would tell you first?"

I don't hear anything from Ean. "Does mommy still love you?"

"We're working on it." Eric said patting Ean's back. "Don't worry about it."

I peak my head in to see Ean hugging Eric. I make my way back into the kitchen and sigh. Ean scurries off to his room and Eric comes in the kitchen for another cup of coffee.

"Ean really thinks that we're divorcing." He sighs. "Kids these days, they all talk so much."

I frown. "I can't imagine what he's really heard."

"I think I'm going to stop seeing her for awhile."

I raise an eyebrow skeptically. "Why?"

"They can't grow up like this."

"Hmm," Should've thought of that before you cheated. "So you're going to be miserable here with me? Go see your girlfriend. No one has to know where you go at the end of the day," I say unfeeling.

"You don't make my decisions for me." He slams down his mug.

My eyebrows press together. "They can't grow up like this. You being hostile like this isn't helping anything," I bark.

"Then watch your tongue." He snaps. "I'm not in the mood. Work is already shit because of you."

I roll my eyes. "Then quit, God Eric what do you want me to do? Go kill your brother if you're so unhappy."

"Why kill him when I could just kill you?" He smiles.

"Ah, you see, I am the mother of your children." I take a sip of my drink. "Can't get rid of me that easily."

He laughs. "I'll just have to try harder."

I give him a scowling look. "Go to work. Take the kids before you go."

"Don't push it." He whispers in my ear and I know he's smiling.

I push him away slightly. "This is never going to work. We're constantly at each other's throats."

"What isn't?" He says confused.

"This marriage," I throw my hands up. "Staying together for god knows what reason."