Chapter 89

When I arrive back to the hospital Eric is awake.

"I'm getting the fuck out of here." Eric begins ripping off his monitors.

I rush into the room to stop him. "Eric," I say out of breath. "You can't go back to Dauntless."

"I have to. Uriah tried to kill me." He snaps.

"Eric, he formed an army against you. They're going to kill you."

"Not if I kill them first."

"You can't take them all on," I shake my head.

"You're a fool if you think I'm running and hiding. This is my faction. I have a standing army, hell, I trained most of them. I'm going to crush this."

"I don't want to lose you," I beg. "Please, I'm not asking you to run. But..."

"No. I'm going to win this. There is no discussion. Go with the children."

"I'm not leaving you," I say with confidence in my voice.

"That is your duty as a mother, Elena." He rolls his eyes.

"And what about my duty as a wife? The children will be safe, I sent them to Amity."

"Go with them then. Your duty as a wife is to be a mother foremost and hold down the fort which you're not doing right now."

"I said I'm not leaving you, please."

"I don't want you at my side for this."

I look at Emery who is still standing there silently. "What about you?" I ask him.

"What about me?"

I turn back to Eric. "Will he be safe in Erudite?"

"This is his faction now. He has nothing to do with Dauntless, so he's the safest of us all."

I nod my head. "I'll go to Amity," I say defeated.

"Good. Don't return until I come and get you."

"What if you don't."

"Then don't return at all."

"Eric," I say hysterically. "I can't lose you." I grab a hold of him.

"Elena, stop this. I'm not going anywhere." He shakes me off.

I wipe my eyes and pull myself together. "I'm going."

"I love you."

"I love you too."

And that's the last I see of him.

In Amity I meet up with family who is scattered in the living room of my eldest sister.

"What's going on, mom?" Eloise asks annoyed and skeptic. "Why are we in farm country and why were we woken up at the crack of dawn?"

I look at Ean, he must not of told any of them. "It's dangerous at Dauntless right now. Your father is taking care of it."

"Shit! I should be there with him." Ean frowns.

"No, Ean. You're staying here where it's safe. Your father can hold his own."

"I'm his number two. If he's crushing a resistance, I should be alongside him." He furrows his eyebrows.

I raise my voice. "I don't care if you're his number two, Ean. You're our son and you are going to stay here where it's safe! That's an order."

"An order? An order as what?" He challenges.

"As your fucking mother, Ean!" I say agitated.

Ean gives me a dirty look.