Chapter 49

When I wake up I seem to of woken up to a surprise courtesy of Eric--he brought Peter over. He stands near the door and I rub my eyes.

"Hi," I say to him. My cramping mild.

"Hey. How are you feeling?" He asks, forehead wrinkled.

"Full of regret," I close my eyes still exhausted.

"I'm guessing you told Eric because he ordered me over here saying that this was 'my responsibility.'"

"Eric and I are done. Officially done," I say with a heavy heart.

"He always knew, Elena. I knew." He sighs.

"Well I didn't," It's quiet. "Can you lay with me?" I ask in a low tone of voice.

"Yes." He scooches next to me. "How do you not see this stuff? I told you months ago that he would've picked Audrey if she was alive, you knew too, he'd probably be with her right now if she was. It's little things like that, that should've told you."

"I just didn't want to believe it...and Audrey was dead."

"What do you mean Audrey was dead?"

"He kept it from me for six years, he was fucking her for the past two years," I scoot closer to Peter and he puts his arm around me.

"Damn. I didn't know the truth would turn out to be that right."

"Me either," I say soft-spoken. "Peter. Do you think we're meant to be with each other?" I say referring to what Eric said.

"I've always thought that."

"I thought you hated me?" I smirk.

"I do. You were with him. You picked him. This entire time, I've picked you. I helped you take care of the children. I've been the one here for you and you've loved him. How could I not hate you?"

"Peter, I-I didn't think you felt that way," I lace my hand with his. "I like you Peter. Will you forgive me for what I did," I say referring to the abortion.

He winces. "Give me time."

"I think I'm ready to finally chose you," I look up at him. "I think I've known that for a while."

He sighs in relief and smiles. "What about the children?"

"It won't be exactly what you want, but Eric and I will stay 'together' for the children. Doesn't mean we can't see each other. I told Eric he could fuck Audrey whenever."

"Damn. You say fuck so harsh, are you sure there's no feelings there?" He gives me a look.

"Of course there is, Eric has been mine for ten years. He father's my children. There will always be apart of me to cling to him but...but I'm moving on and I want you. We both know we're a better pair."

Peter nods. "I love you just as much as he loves her."

The words we're meant to be nice but it still makes me stomach turn. "Did you mean what you said? That you want children?"

"I've never lied to you, Elena."

"I know you haven't...Candor." I smile up at him.

"Your children are like my own already though, so I guess I don't mind that much."

"They love you," I smile. "I mean, Eero is young, you can help raise him until he's sixteen. Plus you always come around so often as it is, so it won't be questionable by the kids when you're over." I lift my head up and kiss him. He pulls me in closer for a deep and passionate kiss. "I love you, Peter."