Chapter 48

I call Peter, "Peter I need you to come pick me up," I say with a tired voice.

"Why? The children..."

"Please Peter, I can't call Eric, have one of the guards watch them--Robert ask him, he's watched the kids before. Please, I need you."

"Okay?" He says confused. "Where are you at?"

"Erudite hospital."

"Why the hell are you there?"

"Please Peter, I'll explain later. I just need you to come pick me up."

He sighs. "Fine. I'm on my way." In the background I hear the kids screaming before he hangs up.

Daniel gave me a pad to wear for the bleeding and said not to move and get plenty of rest for the week, to try not to do anything too severe. I wait a few minutes and Peter wheels me away to the car.

The car ride back to Dauntless is silent until Peter decided to ask me, "Why were you there, Elena?" His voice quiet.

I look at him, tears forming in my eyes. "I got an abortion," the words fall out.

"Was it-whose was it?"

"It was yours," the truth. When Eric and I had sex that morning after Peter and mine's first time-- he wore a condom. It was impossible for it to be Eric's.

Peter's hand grip the steering wheel tighter. "You've got to be fucking kidding me." He growls. "You made this decision without me. Took away my child." He shakes his head. "You might not have wanted it, but I've always wanted children." He shoots me a dirty look.

"Peter you know I couldn't keep it! I'm married to Eric and if he found out--it would kill him! I made this decision because it was the right thing to do!" I cry.

"I always knew you'd turn out to be a mistake." He coldly remarked. I knew it was his truth.

My temper grows, mistake. "Of course this was a mistake," I spit out. "I'm married!"

"Oh yes! You really act like it!" He yells sarcastically.

Guilt overpowers me and I throw my hands over my face. "I realize I made a mistake, okay Peter? I-If I kept that child...what exactly do you think life would be like? Eric would throw me out, my children would get taken from me! Did you expect me to move in with you and raise it?"

"Fuck off." He snarls. "I don't want anything to do with you." His knuckles had turned white and his face was completely red. His anger poured off of him in waves.

I grab my cramping stomach and turn my attention out the window. The rest of the car ride is silent until we reach Dauntless.

When I get home the children flock to me. I look at Peter who, reluctantly, helped me to the door. "Can you at least stay and watch them until Eric gets home?" It's a stretch to ask him, I know but I try anyways.

"Are you fucking kidding me? Robert can. I'm out of here."

Just like that he was gone.

I walk past my children and head to the bedroom, slamming the door and crawling into bed. In pain and overly exhausted I fall asleep.

I wake up to Eric shaking me, the room is dark--it's night time.

"Hey."

"Hey," I say "Do you have another night shift?" I say still tired.

"Yeah. I just got back. It's pretty late, I just wanted to see how your day went. Robert says you weren't feeling too well."

"My period," I lie.