Chapter 88

The next day at work in intelligence Zeke is talking to me about the incident

"I don't know why the kid would deny it..." Zeke huffs.

"I never said Eero denied 'hurting' Wyatt."

Zeke fumbles on his words. "Well I was just thinking, it's something kids do." He shrugs his shoulders.

Four gives him a warning glare and Zeke shuts his mouth and returns back to his work.

"What's going on?" I say to both of them.

"Nothing--" Four begins.

"Leave it alone, Elena."

All throughout work I watch them like hawks. It isn't until hours later I notice Four cuts footage from a certain area, instead of asking where I head to the place myself.

I hear shouting in the hallway as I get closer, a man's voice. A rally of some sort.

"We need to rise up!" As I get closer I can make out the man's voice and face. Uriah. "We've infiltrated and we will expose."

I blend in with the crowd until someone touched my shoulder and I jump. It's Christina.

"What are you doing here?" She asks wide eyed.

"What is going on? What is this?" I shake her hand off my shoulder.

"It's nothing, come on let me take you back to work."

"How'd you know I was at work?" I take a step back paranoid.

"Because Zeke is my boyfriend and I know you two have the same hours. Come on."

I didn't know Zeke and Christina date.

"What is going on Christina?" I say getting even more frustrated and angry.

I can hear the chanting in the background, but I can't make out anything.

"Does Eric know about this?" I peek my head down the hallway once more. Christina puts her hand on my back and moves me along. I push her. "Stop touching me!"

"You should get back to surveillance, Elena." Christina continues to nudge me.

Knowing I'm not going to win this I head back to surveillance where Eric is waiting for me.

"Where have you been?" Eric asks crossing his arms.

"I went on lunch," I lie. "Why are you here?"

"The school called." Eric sighs.

"Phoenix and Eli?" I know the drill.

He shakes his head. "Eero."

"Eero?" I raise my eyebrow. "What happened?"

"I was just as surprised as you are. I guess some kids have been picking on him. That kid Wyatt was involved."

"Shit," I mumble under my breath. "Do we have to go pick him up?"

"Yes. The principal said that she is done with handling our kids."

I roll my eyes. We head over to Erudite and to the usual principal's office where Eero, with a black eye, is waiting for us.

He runs to me and hugs me while the principal says to Eric. "He's suspended for a day."

"What? Why the day? He was being picked on. That's not right to punish him." Eric snarls.

"That's not what the class says. They saw Eero picking on the Dauntless boys."

Eric bursts out laughing. "Yeah...right."