Chapter 82

Monday morning I wake up and report to the post Eric assigned me; Ean and Serena are waiting for me in the training room.

I cross my arms. "Hello Ean," I smile.

"Hi mom." Ean waits for me to say something more, but I don't.

"Hi, Elena." Serena smiles.

"Serena," I lift my chin.

"Oh boy... this is going to be a long day." Ean groans.

"I'll be teaching them to knife throw, so if you stay back and observe I think the day will go by pretty fast." I smile.

"As long as you don't put Serena in front of the target, I think I could agree to that." Ean smiles.

"I wouldn't harm the baby," I scowl my son.

"Good." Ean narrows his eyes at me and then he shakes his head. "Let's go ladies." He gestures to Serena, "after you."

My group of transfers enter the room. "Already everyone! I want you to grab a bucket of knives and then stand in front of a target." I grab three knives for myself and stand amongst the crowd in front of my own target. "The key is not to curve it, you bend your arm back straight and through straight, elbows ninety degree." I bend my elbow, pull back, and throw the knives, bullseye, bullseye, bullseye.

"Any questions?" They're silent. "Good." I stand back where Ean and Serena are.

Both of them are laughing.

"You're intimidating the shit out of them, ma." Ean laughs.

"I learned it from your father," I smile. "If there's anything Eric can do, it's scare the shit right out of you."

"I'd like to think that I got it from him, but I don't know anymore." Ean smiles. "What do you think Serena?"

"It could go either way." She smiles weakly and doesn't seem to laugh alongside him now that I'm there. "Eric always would try to intimidate everyone on our rounds." She laughs lightly.

"Like I said, intimidating is Eric's specialty." I shift from Serena to Ean.

Serena nods. "That I can agree with."

"Okay you two, if this gets any more awkward I might be sick. What is the real problem here?" Ean scowls at both of us.

"I have no problem," I say. "What kind of throw was that Henry? Run a mile!" I shout. "No problem at all," I return my attention back to my son.

"You're lying to me." He narrows his eyes. "I remember when I lied to you and you didn't seem to appreciate that very much."

"Ean, I have no problem with Serena."

"I think your mother and I just got off to a bad start." Serena smiles weakly at me and then puts a hand on Ean's arm. He un-tenses.

"That I can agree with," I cross my arms.

"You see," Serena sighs and continues, "when I was an initiate, I made it like a goal of mine to make your mother's job hard, that being said, I had a kid-crush on your father."

Ean nods. "Go on."

"I said a lot of stuff that was just to get on her nerves, but that's just who I was. I was young and stupid, Ean." Serena explains.

"I recall you even said something like...wanting to fuck my son?"

Serena laughs awkwardly. "Oh god. I forgot about that." She blushes embarrassed. "I said anything just to get to you really."