No Means No

"The bathroom's through that door and that's the balcony's door." I say, nodding my chin in the balcony's direction. Carter is splayed across the bed, staring at his phone screen.
"Mm...okay, thanks." Carter says, not even paying attention to what I'm saying. I turn around and seat myself on the ottoman that's placed near the foot of the bed.
"Why're you here?" I ask, fidgeting with my fingers. I hear Carter switch off his phone and then I feel his lips on my shoulder.
"Babe, I missed you." Carter whispers, kissing his way up my shoulder. I stand up, and turn to face him.
"In all honesty though, why? I'm sure you were enjoying your time without me," I say. "I bet you had sleepovers every night." Carter flinches almost imperceptibly. In the next second, his face is composed and he's smiling.
"Of course not, hon. I wanted to be with you, so I packed up, took a night flight and here I am." Carter sighs and passes a hand through his messed up hair. "Look, Mus, that was a one time thing. A mistake that I'll regret for the rest of my life. Please don't make this harder on me." Carter gazes into my eyes with regret and despair. I would've believed him, had I not known what a great actor he is.
"I want to enjoy my holiday, Carter, so please don't ruin it." I say, making my tone firm. He should know that coming here wasn't his best idea and that now my time and his is ruined.
"Why would I, babe?" Carter gets up and wrings his hands. "Please Mus, just give me another fucking chance." I wish I knew how, is what I don't tell him. There's a knock at the door.
"Yeah?" I call out, swiping off whatever expression my face holds. I stride over to the door and hastily open it. Niall's standing outside. His eyes flit from Carter to me and then back to him.
"Hi, Carter." Niall says, offering him an awkward wave.
"Hey, Nialler!" Carter beams at him. Niall frowns at the casual use of his nickname from Carter's lips. My fiance is trying way too hard.
"Um, Mus, Kate's back from the doc. She's calling you," Niall says. Oh, thank God! Bless my friend.
"Let's go," I say. Hastily, I step out of the room and shut the door behind me. Through the corner of my eye, I can see Niall frowning, furrowing his eyebrows; clearly wanting to say something.
"What?" I finally ask him. "What's playing on your mind?"
"You called him?" Niall questions, raising his eyebrows. I shake my head.
"No, he decided to surprise me." I sigh, hoping I don't sound too upset.
"I was wondering why Harry seemed upset. Well, now I know." Niall smiles, snaking his arm across my shoulders. "You and your admirers." Niall grins, making me swat his arm.
"Oh please," I roll my eyes. We enter the lounge to find everyone seated in there: Harry, Liam, Kate, even Louis.
"Whats up?" I ask warily.
"Planning for the delivery." Kate announces, grinning like a clown. God, someone's excited. "Please take a seat and hear me out." I laugh at her formal way of addressing us and oblige. Once Niall and I are seated, Kate clasps her hands together and clears her throat.
"As you all know, I'll be giving birth in less than three days. Hopefully," she adds, as an afterthought. "There are certain things to go over." I raise an eyebrow questioningly. "Like who I'll keep in the delivery room with me."
"Pass." Louis, Niall and Harry say in unison. Kate frowns.
"This is a once in a lifetime opportunity!" She exclaims, frowning. "Some people just don't appreciate golden tickets." I let out a chuckle, which earns me a glare. "So that leaves Mus and my lovely fiance. Do you both accept?" I look at Liam for his reaction. He nods solemnly, so I imitate him. Kate smiles and places her hand over Liam's. "You two are very lucky people."
"As if," Harry scoffs. Kate narrows her eyes at him and continues.
"No hospital pictures shall be taken from anyone's phone other than mine, Liam or Mus'. I don't trust you three." She continues, pointing at Harry, Niall and Louis. "I've prepared a baby bag and only that shall be taken to the hospital. I don't want people thinking we're those paranoid parents, who come too prepared." Liam nods his agreement. Honestly, I just want to laugh at my best friend's stupidity and childish behavior. However, since she's pregnant, she gets a free pass. "I think that's about it. Oh and for celebratory purposes, we're all going out tonight."
"Where?" All heads snap toward the source of the voice. Carter's standing in the doorway, smiling. I roll my eyes and huff.
********
The place that Liam and Kate have chosen for tonight is not too fancy, but it isn't a place that anyone can come to every night either. The restaurant is booming with loud music and littered around the whole area are couples, groups of friends that are adorned in heavy jewelry and expensive clothes. I bet we will also cross paths with another celebrity. A waiter guides us toward our seating area. Our table is wrapped around by a curved sofa that can seat about 15 people and it's right next to the window, a definite plus point. Private and spacious, not bad. Everyone seats themselves and luckily, I get the side that faces the window. The waiter brings over the menus and before even opening it, Carter orders a round of shots. Nobody comments.
"I'm in the mood for some dancing. Kate?" Liam asks, offering her his hand. She nods her head eagerly and they both head onto the dance floor. Louis' excuses himself and leaves. Niall, on the other hand, is deeply focused on texting someone.
"Mus? Wanna dance?" Carter asks, grinning. I shake my head.
"No, I'm tired." I say, browsing the menu. Harry is staring at his phone screen, his brow furrowed. The waiter brings over a tray of shot glasses, and places them down in front of Carter.
"A glass of Coke, please." I say, smiling. He nods his head and leaves. Carter downs two shots before moving the tray towards Harry.
"Want some?" He questions, taking another glass and gulping its contents. Harry looks up from his phone's screen and picks one up. In an instant, the glass is empty. Carter grins as Harry helps himself to another.
"Mus, your turn." Carter says, holding up a full glass in front of me. I shake my head.
"You know I don't drink." I say, staring out of the window.
"Oh come on, have at least one tonight. For the sake of not being a party pooper." Carter coaxes, practically shoving the glass underneath my nose. I shake my head and move it away.
"No," I say firmly. Carter places his hand behind my neck and inches my head toward the glass. I turn my head to the left, trying to get it out of his grip. "I said no!"
"She doesn't want it. Leave it," Harry intervenes. Carter ignores him and touches the shot glass to my lips. This is why I don't like being around Carter when he deals with alcohol; low tolerance and a dick attitude. Harry leans forward and in a swift motion grabs the glass out of Carter's hand and downs it himself.
"When a person says no, they mean it." Harry says, slamming the glass onto the tray. "So stop being the dick that you are and leave her the hell alone." Carter opens his mouth to retaliate. However, his phone rings on the table. Mia's name flashes across the screen. I roll my eyes, of course she's calling. Carter grabs his phone and hastily leaves our company. Harry's staring at me, making me restless in my seat.
"I'm going out for a bit." I say, getting up.
"I'm coming too," Harry says, following close behind my heels.