Wasted

"Hi," I say, as my dad answers the call.

"Hey! How you doing, kid?" Dad asks.

"Good. What about you?" I flick through the tv channels mindlessly.

"I'm doing pretty good."

"Dad, I called to discuss something really important with you." I take a deep breath and begin. "I broke up with Carter months ago. Something that I should've done years before."

"I know," dad sighs. "Carter told his dad who called me when it happened. But I didn't call you because I didn't know how to approach the topic. So I decided to let you come around yourself; took you long enough though." There's a hint of dejection in dad's tone.

"I needed time to sort through my thoughts I guess." I take a sip of water and continue. "I'm engaged to Harry, dad. The person who I should've been with all along."

"What?" There's raw surprise in dad's tone. "W-When?"

"Right after I broke up with Carter," I say simply. "And I'm happy. More than I've ever been, to be honest."

"Mus, are you sure about that guy? He's a celebrity...that brings in affairs and drama." I roll my eyes.

"Dad, just because he's a celebrity doesn't mean I shouldn't marry him. Plus, my life has been filled with affairs and drama without him. Harry's...like us, dad. Normal and private." My tone is defensive and snappy.

"I don't know," Dad says unsurely.

"We're getting married in two months and that's that. If you want to spend some time with him - be nice to him - and get to know him, we'd love to pay a visit." There's silence for a few seconds and I think my dad's gonna say no.

"Yeah, okay." Dad says, surprising me. "You know where we live, just drop by whenever you guys want. It'll be nice to meet you after all those years." I smile and nod to myself.

"I'll discuss this with Harry and then inform you." I say, just as I hear Harry's motorbike pull up in the driveway. "Gotta go, bye."

"Bye, love you." I end the call and get up, moving towards the door. I open it to find Harry stumbling up the porch. He trips on the front steps and lands on the ground, breaking his fall with the heels of his palms.

"Harry!" I exclaim, rushing to his aid. I grab his forearms and hoist him up. He reeks of nicotine and alcohol. I help him into the house, shutting the door behind me. The minute I let Harry go, he stumbles straight into a wall, placing his palm against it for support.

"Harry, you're drunk as shit!" I say, taking hold of his arms again and dragging him into the lounge. I seat him on the sofa, and he immediately lays down.

"Nah...few drinks." Harry slurs, turning on his side to face me. "You're so beautiful." And he giggles! The man actually giggles.

"What's your definition of a few drinks?" My tone is stern and I place my hands on my hips. Harry raises his palm and holds up five fingers and then raises his other palm and raises all five again.

"So that's ten." Harry clenches his fists and then raises all ten fingers again. "That's ten." He stops and stares at me. "I forgot. What number was I at?" My eyes widen and I turn around, marching towards the kitchen in anger. I take out a glass and fill it with water, silently cursing Harry throughout. He is so fucking drunk and yet he drove himself home! Forget that, he shouldn't even be drunk in the first place. I stride back into the lounge and hold the glass of water out towards him.

"Drink up," I say sternly. Harry sits up, almost falling back down. He takes the glass from my hand with a slightly trembling hand and downs it in one chug. I stare at him, disgusted by the substances that are in his system right now. He hands the glass back to me, and lays back down.

"Lets have sex!" Harry exclaims, throwing his hands up in the air. I scoff.

"Yeah, in your dreams we will." I say, crossing my arms across my chest.

"Oh come on, babe!" Harry groans. "Gimme some."

"Ha, yeah right!" I move back and take a seat on the chair facing the couch on which my wasted fiance is half asleep. "You sleep and then we'll talk about what happened tonight." If this was a one time thing, I would have let it slide. However, this is like the tenth time I'm dealing with this. Harry usually keeps drinking at home and then gets drunk by night, but today he has crossed the line. The man could've died! I can't even imagine how the fuck he drove all the way home. I shake my head and watch him slide off the couch, his back against the front of the couch. He crawls across the floor towards me, but stops midway and flops down on the cold floor. I watch him with pity and...concern. This isn't Harry. The man I know has boundaries and makes sure to rarely cross them. I get up and hook my thumbs underneath Harry's underarms and pull him backwards, toward the stairs.

"Off you go to bed." I say, putting in every ounce of effort into lugging Harry towards the stairs. Taking him upstairs though will be tough as hell. I guess someone gets to sleep in the guest bedroom tonight. I change directions and pulls him towards the guest bedroom.

"You taking me to have sex? Demanding, I like it." Harry comments, smirking lazily. I roll my eyes and haul him into the guest bedroom. I stop, lean him against the wall and catch my breath.

"I swear to God, next time you come drunk I will leave your sorry ass on the porch. You can sit out there all night and freeze," I say. Harry falls sideways, making me bend and grab him again.

"You love me," Harry slurs. Huffing, I drag him till the bed. I bend down, put his hand over my shoulders and hoist him upwards. It's like I'm lugging around a rag doll. I place him on the bed and he immediately topples sideways, splaying out across the sheets. I take off his shoes and then unzip and unbutton his jeans, so that he's comfortable while sleeping. After unbuttoning the top buttons of his shirt, I switch off the light and exit the room.