Broken Sole

My stomach grumbles, making me sit up. I throw my head back, groaning. Oh God, I love my child, but this pregnancy is really going to be the end of me. I slip on my slippers and get off the bed. Lets see what's there to eat in the fridge. When I step out into the hallway, I realize that all the lights are on. The tv is playing, but the volume is considerably low. I make my way into the kitchen, scanning the place for Harry; he's nowhere in sight. Frowning, I open the fridge door and stick my head into it. Pizza, no. Cake - I've already eaten too much of it. Coke, no. Pasta, yuck! Frustrated, I slam the fridge door shut.

"Ugh!" I lean against the fridge, wondering where the heck can I get a bite at 2 in the morning, in London. Nowhere, the answer is pretty obvious. No...maybe the deli near where I work will be open. I guess there's just one way to find out. I open my eyes to find Harry leaning onto the bar counter, staring at me.

"What're you doing?" I ask, raising an eyebrow questioningly.

"I should be asking you that," Harry says. He smiles and nods toward me. "What're you doing awake at this ungodly hour?" I glance around the kitchen.

"Trying to find something to eat - I failed." Sighing, I head towards the foyer. "I'm heading out now. Bye." Harry wraps his hand around my arm, stopping me. He steps in front of me and looks at me as if I've just announced that I grew a pair of balls.

"You're going out?" Harry repeats, as if he hasn't heard me loud and clear the first time. I nod my head. "At," Harry eyes flick over to the clock. "2:10 in the morning?" I shrug my shoulders nonchalantly.

"Yeah, what's the big deal? I'm hungry. There's nothing to eat at home so I'm headed off." I tug my arm out of Harry's grasp.

"In case your pregnancy is making you all psycho, this is London. Everything shuts down around 10," Harry says matter-of-factly. "You won't even see a cat outside." I grab my coat off the coat hanger and wrap it around my shoulders.

"I'm quite sure that the deli near my workplace will still be open. Harry, please don't waste your breath, I'm going."

"There's no public transport available!" Harry yells, as I unlock the front door and step out.

"I'll walk!" I call back, shutting the door. I pull on the hoodie and head down the driveway, slipping my hands into the coat pockets. I hear the front door click open behind me. I stop and turn. Harry has stepped out onto the porch, a black coat adorning his body.

"Wait for me." Harry says, as he locks up.

"Why the heck are you coming?" I ask, shuffling from foot to foot.

"Because I can't let you walk all the way to a shutdown deli at 2 fucking am!" Harry rushes down the front steps and joins me. "It's unsafe and you're pregnant; anything could happen." I look at Harry warily for a few seconds before nodding my head.

"Fine. But just for the record, I can take care of myself." I say stubbornly, as we begin our walk towards the gate. Harry laughs.

"Sure you can, love - "

"Don't call me that," I snap.

"Sorry," Harry mumbles. "By the way, what exactly are we looking for?"

"I don't know," I shrug my shoulders. "Something good to eat. Dessert? A main course? Anything!" Harry sighs and throws his head back.

"So basically we're out on a wild goose chase?" I throw him a sharp look, shaking my head.

"No, we're out to curb in the cravings of my baby," I state simply. "And of course mine too." Silence ensues, as we saunter down the sidewalk. Occasionally, Harry would kick a pebble and blow into his palms to keep warm.

"You're wearing slippers." Harry says, as we're nearing the deli. I glance down at my feet and nod.

"Yeah, is that a problem? Oh wait, have I broken a law by wearing slippers at this hour?" I ask sarcastically. Harry shakes his head, grinning.

"No, but you came out for a walk - your feet swollen like ripe tomatoes - and you're wearing slippers?" Harry shakes his head disbelievingly, still grinning. "You're unbelievable, Mus." We round the corner, the deli coming into view...it's shut. My shoulders sag in disappointment and I lean against a lamppost, dejected. Harry turns around, walking backwards in the direction of the deli. He keeps turning to look at the deli and then back to me.

"Oh my Lord," Harry exclaims. "It's shut! How...What? How the heck could they do this?" Harry adorns a disbelieving expression, his eyebrows raised in wonder. "Don't they know that a pregnant woman is coming to eat at their place? Fuck. Wanna sue them?" I stare at him, my expression stoic. Harry keeps the fake expression on his face for a few more minutes before wiping it off, and smiling sheepishly at me. "Okay, sorry."

"I'm hungry," I whine. I entangle my fingers in my hair, moving it out of my face. "I'm gonna die tonight." I take a step forward and trip. Luckily, my hand grabs hold of the lamppost in time. I look down to see what tripped me. Fuck, the sole of my slipper's out. "As if the situation couldn't get any worse." I throw my head back, tears pricking at the corners of my eyes. I straighten my head, opening my mouth to say something to Harry. However, my lips fall shut when I see him bent over, taking off his boots.

"What're you doing?" I question, furrowing my brows. Harry takes off one boot and chucks it toward me. I catch it, staring at him questioningly.

"Giving you my shoes," Harry states. "Don't worry, I'm not putting on a strip show for you." He winks at me and takes off the other. Harry walks over to me, the other boot in his right hand. He holds it out toward me. I stare at both the boots - one in my hand and one in his.

"What about you? What'll you wear on the way back?" I question, wondering whether or not I should I accept Harry's shoes. Harry nods toward his feet.

"I have socks," Harry answers. "Just put them on so that we can get home soon."

"But I want food," I whine. I take off the slippers and place Harry's boot on the floor, slipping my foot into his shoe. Of course it's big. In fact, I won't be surprised if it slips off a few times on the way back.

"I'll make you a deal," Harry begins. "If you let me take you home now, I'll cook you a mind blowing main course and dessert. Even an appetizer! Whatever you want, Mus. Just please lets go home." I stare at him warily.

"Promise?" I cock my head to the side.

"Promise!" Harry smiles at me, his eyes full of hope.

"Then what're we waiting for? Lets go home!"