Candle

"I'm dying. This is too much work," Kate complains. Huffing, she drops a box onto the floor and slides down against a wall. "Who knew being a best friend could be so taxing?" I look at her and grin.

"You just came!" I exclaim. "Like, half an hour ago. You've picked up exactly two boxes and you're already dead?" I shake my head, faking disappointment. "And then there's your fiance and mine, who've been working since last week. Imagine what they've gone through." Kate's eyes widen.

"No wonder Liam has been so burnt out in bed. Now I know whose fault it is!" Kate places her hands on her hips and glares at me.

"TMI, Kate and plus, he's the one who keeps coming back to help. It's not like I tie a rope around his neck and drag him back here everyday." Kate makes a face at me and chucks a rag towards me, just as Harry and Liam enter the house, dragging two suitcases each. Poor things, they look burnt out. "Take a break, guys!" Harry shakes his head and wipes sweat off his brow.

"No, we will finish this move today. And that's final," Harry says.

"Suit yourselves," I mumble. I turn back around and pick up the paint brush once more. "Doesn't this wall look amazing?"

"Anything you do looks amazing, love." Harry says, coming up behind me and wrapping his arms around my waist. "Proud of you." Harry leans his face towards my cheek and gives me a ghost of a kiss. I grin and wrap my arms around his.

"Thank you," I say, beaming with pride. Kate makes a gagging noise from behind us.

"Harry, tell me something." Kate says, coming over to us. Harry groans and turns his head to face her.

"Yes, sister-in-law?" Harry questions, sounding like the most bored person on the planet.

"Are you always buttering up to my best friend in this manner? Or are you having a weird phase nowadays?" Kate questions, folding her arms in front of her chest.

"It's not called buttering, it's called stating facts." Harry replies, winking at me. "You must not be used to it because you see, there's nothing really great about you, so Liam can't really go into the whole praise thing." Kate's mouth falls open and she smacks my fiance's arm.

"Fuck you," Kate spits, though a grin is already adorning her face. Harry chuckles and releases me.

"Back to work, my fellow co-workers!" Harry yells, marching back out of the front door. It has been four months since Harry proposed and now I'm moving into his house in London. We just started the shift last week and Harry has even allowed me to redecorate. And that's exactly what I'm doing right now. All the walls in Harry's house are white, or cream - such bland colors. So the first thing I'm doing is sponge painting the entrance wall to give some character to this place. And then I'll move onto our bedroom wall. Harry has allowed me to do whatever I want with the place, but I still recheck with him since this is his place. Everything is going amazingly well, the only thing that I'm struggling with are Harry's addictions. His smoking and his drinking habits. He has been drinking excessive amounts of alcohol throughout the day and he finishes up to two cigarette packs a day. This is unhealthy for him and I hate to see him waste precious days of his life by consuming that shit. However, I haven't addressed the issue with him yet, but I'm planning to soon enough. I get back to painting and Kate gets back to searching for food. That's another thing; Harry's fridge is always empty. Since he was living alone before all he did was order takeout and pig out on chip packets whenever he felt hungry. But now I'm here and I need food in the house 24/7 to pig out on.
*******
"Harry, thank you, really." I say, taking out the dress he's just gifted me. I hold it up and admire it's beauty. "But you know it's a waste of money to spend money on such things for me. I'll wear it once maybe and then not even look at it." Harry turns around and leans against the dressing table, crossing his legs at the ankles.