Chapter 67

On the way back to their flat, Jay kept glancing over at Nathan icing his hand. "You know you may have to play keys this week. Did you think of that?"

Nathan raised an eyebrow at him. "Did you think of how rude you were going to sound before you talked to me the way you did?"

Jay shut up. "Ok, you got me."

"Yeah!" he said very proud that he won that mini argument.

Jay shook his head with a smirk and continued to drive. "So, somebody's 21st birthday is coming up."

Nathan smiled. "I can drink in the U.S. legally! Brilliant!"

"We have to celebrate, aye?"

Nathan smiled. "Yes definitely, but only close friends and family. I don't need to make it a big production. It would be fake then."

Jay nodded. "Well, we have a few days to sort it out."

"Ooo Stevie!" Nathan said with a smile, then raised the volume on the radio and began to sing along. "Very superstitious, writing's on the wall." He sang then turned to Jay. "Very superstitious, ladders bout' to fall."

Jay laughed. "Is the show ever over for you?"

Nathan smiled and shook his head. He continued to sing along.

"So, have you thought about what you may want as a present?"

Nathan smiled. "I get a present?" he asked cocking his eyebrow.

"Of course and I want it to be special."

Nathan grabbed Jay's hand and squeezed. "Well, I pretty much have everything I want so I dunno."

Jay intertwined their fingers and rubbed his thumb over Nathan's hand he was holding. "Come on, there has got to be something."

"Well, there is always..."

"No, don't even go there. Please don't list the same three things you randomly throw out to people when they don't know what to get you."

"Oh and what's that exactly?" Nathan asked.

Jay smirked. "Hats, tickets to a Manchester game or an itunes gift card."

Nathan opened his mouth to speak but he thought better of it and closed it. He was right. Jay knew him exactly.

"Ha see. Do I know you or what?"

Nathan shook his head. "Well, those are good gifts."

"I told you I want it to be special. Could you just cooperate for once and not be so bloody stubborn."

"Honestly Jay I don't need anything."

Jay smiled. "Guess I am on my own. Luckily, I am skilled in the art of special birthday gifts."

Nathan chuckled.

About 20 minutes into the drive, Nathan could tell that Jay was in deep thought. Most likely it was about his father and the awkward dinner they just had to endure. He wished there was something he could do that would magically fix their father/son relationship, which was on some pretty thin ice actually.

"You okay love?"

Jay nodded.

Nathan could see tears welling up a bit on the sides of his eyes. Jay was putting on a brave face, but clearly he had higher expectations about this evening that were not met.

"I love you." Nate said then kissed Jay's hand.

Jay pulled their intertwined hands towards his mouth and kissed Nathan's hand. "I love you."