The First Christmas

It's been ten minutes already and I haven't eaten yet the pasta that she took out for dinner.

My mind is occupied by the interiors of her house.

There's a 'peace be unto this house sign on her front door' and a huge Christmas tree by the staircase. It's only September but her house is already decorated as though it was Christmas morning already.

"Bothered by the Christmas tree?", she asks as she prepares her bowl of rice with sautéed chicken and soy sauce.

"No, not really. I'm just wondering why you already have a Christmas tree."

"Ah, simply because we, Filipinos start celebrating Christmas on the very first day of the Ber Months and end it on the sixth day of January of the following year."

"So, you're a Pacific Islander, then?" I ask with full of curiosity.

"Not really, we prefer to be called Asians or Filipinos or simply Pinoy in my native language."

"Sounds nice! How long have you been living here in England?"

"About four years already. My mother married an Englishman and convinced me to move here but I was really reluctant so it took me five more years before I finally gave in."

"And what made you gave in?"

"May pagka-moso din pala ang mga batang Briton, talaga naman oo! (Young British can be a little nosey too, it's getting to my nerves."

"It's a long story with no shortcuts."

Too good my phone buzzes to a call from my sister.

"Wazzup, Panet?"

"Just reminding you to the charity ball that our stepfather has organized. I know you're oblivious when you're tied up."

"What ball?" My eyes grew larger in horror.

"7:30 p. m. tomorrow at Willister Hall, don't tell me you completely forgot that?"

"Oh, damn it! I don't have anything to wear! I can't go to the salon considering that my schedule is fully booked tomorrow."

"Oh, Jesus! This isn't happening!"

"Hello, Panet. Are you still there?"

"Yeah, I'm still on but I have to drop out. I gotta find a solution tonight. Good night!"

"Hey, what seems to be the problem?"

"Ugh!" I completely forgot that I'm with someone else.

"Nothing. Nothing. I'll find a solution, anyway."

"By the way, your room is the second room on the right side. It has a toilet and a shower. Just help yourself. And one more, just leave the dishes at the sink, I will deal with them in the morning."

"Thanks!" I had the urge to say goodnight but she is already climbing the stairs. She really had a tough day.

I decided to send my mum a text message, letting her know that I have safely arrived at Marylebone. She would freak out if she learned that I got lost in the streets of London.

Thanks to Ms. Zarene, thanks to fate.

A few more minutes and I'm done eating. I loaded the dishes to her dishwasher and swiped the remaining mess on the table. My tiny token of appreciation for this girl.

As I pick up my luggage, I notice the photographs framed on her sitting room wall.

Photographs that I guess make her feel like home; her primary school graduation picture, picture of a park near the bay, her Persian cat, her mum and grandpa, her first sin confession, a couple of a church belfry pictures, her sister celebrating New Year's Eve. Photographs that define her life back home.

 Photographs that define her life back home

I also notice her Nativity Scene but is it really a nativity scene, when Baby Jesus isn't there yet? She's already got gifts under her Christmas tree

I also notice her Nativity Scene but is it really a nativity scene, when Baby Jesus isn't there yet? She's already got gifts under her Christmas tree. One belongs to Panet, to her mum and stepfather, to Nikka and Bernadette, Markus and to Aleks.

"Ah, Aleks! The movie actor." They must be an item and now I've got knots in my stomach . I wonder where they go on dates. "Do they eat in the fanciest restaurants around London? Does he drive an expensive car? Does he get her posh gifts? Does he really love her?"

"Ahhh, why I've got so many questions in my head? I've got an another audition, which needs my full attention. But the ball tomorrow. She seems anxious about it. I wish I could do something to help her.