As loud as an Ambulance

The deafening sound of the ambulance's siren is shooting fears to my consciousness as Ms. Zarene breathes through the oxygen mask. Her brown skin is slowly turning pale. "Why is it taking forever to reach the nearest infirmary?" I glared at the medic. I can't afford to lose her, my tiny Filipina lily.

Ms. Laurie and I pace alternately while waiting outside the emergency room.

"Nothing serious!" The doctor emerged from the E

"Nothing serious!" The doctor emerged from the E. R.'s door. "She just went a little over the board of her recuperative capacity. I'm advising her to take a rest for at least a week. We are now going to transfer her to a regular room. Kindly fill out this form for her confinement."

I handed the form to Ms. Laurie. Ironically, the only thing I know about  her is her name, even her family name is unknown to me.

"I guess, we need to call her family members now." I suggest to Ms. Laurie.

"Thanks for that. I can't even think straight right now. I'll call her mum first." She turns around to get her phone.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Graeff to interrupt you at this hour. B-ut your daughter, Zarene is currently confined at the Royal London Hospital. She collapsed an hour ago but she's doing good now."

I could feel the weight in Ms. Laurie's voice.

"She's been working so hard these past few weeks and today, she complained that she's not really feeling well but she really wanted to be there during the eliminations. Things went worse and she was about to go home when you arrived."

Ms. Laurie was interrupted by her phone's ring and from the conversation it was Mr. Lynch asking about Ms. Zarene's condition. She was given further instructions and turned to me.

"I'm sorry Henry but you have to go back to Marylebone. Shane will be picking you up."

"Forgive me Ms. Laurie but I'm going to disobey you this time. I want to stay here at least for tonight."

The door flew open to reveal Aleks rushing to Ms. Zarene's side and holding her hand.

"She collapsed due to fatigue but she's doing good now." Ms. Laurie informs Aleks.

"Mrs. Graeff called me and too good I was still in the area so I rushed in here. They'll be here in two hours."

There's a slight knock on the door and an unfamiliar face showed up. She looked a little bit surprised upon seeing me but she went straight to Ms. Zarene's bed. She didn't say anything but she kept stroking Ms. Zarene's hair.

"Thank you Laurie for bringing her here. I couldn't imagine what possibly could happen. She's a little hard-headed, I know that."

"Actually, it was Henry who carried her to the ambulance stationed at the arena."

The unfamiliar face turned to me. "My sister is so lucky to have you. Thank you so much." She locked me in her embrace.

"My apologies, but I'm not seeing her. I'm just one of the contenders."

"Contenders? But I saw you at her porch. Oh! I must've gotten it wrong." Massaging her temple in embarrassment.

"Mabel. Aleks. What's going on?"

And we all rushed to her side.

"Laurie told us that you collapsed due to fatigue. How are you feeling now?" Ms. Mabel asks while making the sign of the cross.

"I'm feeling fine, just a little bit dizzy. Have you seen my planner?"

Everyone gave her a confused look.

"For God's sake, my sister! We are here due to your over exhaustion and you're looking for your planner?"

"I can't afford to stay the night in this hospital bed. I don't have time for this. I'm scheduled for two mass readings tomorrow, Mr. Lynch is expecting me to be there at the first day of the competition proper, and I still need to finish my report in Theology." Ms. Zarene protests.

"No, you're not leaving this room unless otherwise stated. The problem with you is that you never learn to slow down." Ms. Mabel howls.

"If those are bothering you. I'm gonna call Fr. José. I'm sure he can find a tentative replacement for you. And Aleks can talk to your Theology professor." Ms. Mabel's smiling in victory.

"Besides, Mr. Lynch has called me earlier, allowing you to recuperate. Mr. Shane will be doing your job while you are here."

"What can I do? Looks like everyone has connived to lock me here. Since I'm staying here for a week, might as well take this opportunity to watch the movies I purchased four months ago and continue reading a chapter of Josh McDowell's."

"Sounds good, boo. So give me your house keys so I can get everything you need." Ms. Mabel extending her hand.

"Don't forget to pick up my beddings at the laundry shop next to my street."

"Will be done as commanded. Mom and Uncle William are arriving in any minute. Just take it to the left and let it out to the right."

Ms. Mabel left with Aleks and I nestled myself to a couch near the loo.

"Thank you!"

"I said, thank you!" Ms. Zarene repeated to catch my attention. I walked to her bed and took the seat beside her bed.

"Laurie told me that you carried me to the ambulance. And stayed with me the whole time." She reached for my hand and gently squeezed it.

My heart pounded to the beat that is as loud as an ambulance.