M'lady: Part 2

Both the boys were silent as they stared at each other, their faces resembling that of tomatoes at the moment.

Virgil kept his shocked gaze on Roman as he ambled towards the window and slowly began wiping the bar, then taking his eyes away from Roman and staring at his work.

Meanwhile Roman began slinking off his bedside and towards his wardrobe but found it quite difficult to stay focused at mix up of words.

Virgil would shoot a glance or two back at Roman before he finally finished his work and cleared his throat.

Roman turned his head at the small cough.

"I uh...finished..." Virgil shrugged.

"Oh...Oh, that's good..." Roman scratched at his arm awkwardly.

"Yeah..." Virgil chewed on the side of his cheek.

Roman shuffled his feet, as Virgil exited he room, "Uh-"

"Huh?" Virgil stopped.

"Could you..." Roman was desperate to say something but nothing came out.

Virgil shook his head, "...It's...fine- I act like a maid, I get it."

Roman melted in relief that Virgil hadn't caught on to why his mistake was a mistake, but then immediately felt guilty afterwards, "No, no! Not at all!"

"Yeah?" Virgil put his hand on his hip, "I mean, I come here and clean, that's basically the definition of a maid."

"That's not what I meant though!"

"What'd you mean then? I resemble a lady-like figure?"

"Not at all! You're-" Roman found himself at a loss for words once again.

"Well is it an insult or not?"

"It's- y- no- it's-" Roman stuttered.

Virgil squinted in suspicion.

"I'm..." Roman still didn't know what to say.

"Spit it out, why'd you call me that? Are you saying I'm lesser than I am?" Virgil's confusion was starting to turn into offense.

"Well, are you saying women would he lesser?" Roman fought back.

"No- it's just-"

"Then why are you so upset M'lady." Roman clenched his fists with a glare.

"Idiot! Here I thought you might actually be different from those one-sided elitists!" Virgil scoffed, grabbing his stuff and heading for the door, "Stay in your closed-minded world and leave me out of it." He growled before slamming the door shut.

"The nerve! He thinks he can speak to me like..." Roman found his voice trailing off in disappear as he felt his heart break. He pressed his hand to his face with a groan as he flopped onto his bed and looked up at the stone-ceiling, "Well, it seems the slayer of beasts is also the slayer of hearts..." He refers to himself.

***

The next day someone else came when Roman tried his spider shtick, it wasn't Virgil and nor was it for the next week. He hardly saw the other boy either, who seemed to purposefully make sure not to cross paths with Roman. That was- well, that was until on accident.

Roman was sheathing his sword after cleaning it, prepared to set it on the wall when an apprentice came bursting into the guild's head quarters of the knights, startling Roman, "Great lords, what's the matter?"

The apprentice was recognizable as Joan with his squeaks of effort before he spoke, "The- dragon-witch herself! She- she broke into the dorms! Everything- everything's on fire!" He shrieked.