Change Isn't Always Good-Markiplier

I went to high school with a guy called Mark Fischbach. He was so laid back, kind, funny and smart. We were best friends. But when he started hanging out with other people, he started changing. He told me, on the now rare occasions where we hung out, that he wanted to be cool and fit in. He was fitting in fine in my books.

He tried looking cool, which impressed everyone else, but he looked like a fool to me. He was pretending to be someone else to fit in, not himself.

I missed the old Mark. The Mark who'd burst out of his house, shouting that he wanted to be an engineer. The Mark who hung out with me all the time. The one who was so laid back, not caring about what people thought of him.

He was making everything complicated. My life was hard enough with having a younger sibling battling cancer, divorced parents who fought all the time and now a best friend who'd now left to hang out with other people.

I sat at a lunch table on my own eating my food. A beanie rested on my head, keeping my ears warm in the colder than usual day. I heard yelling so naturally, I looked up. I saw Mark with his new friends, surrounding a junior.

"God's sake." I grumbled. I grabbed my beg, chucking the rest of my food in the bin and walking over.

I stood in front of the small girl.

"Back off. What'd she do to you?" I asked angrily, glancing at Mark. One of the guys, who was at least a foot taller than me, sneered.

"None of your business, twat." He growled. "Now move. Were teaching this rat a lesson." He tried pushing me out of the way, only for me to stand back in front of the cowering girl.

"No, leave her alone." I growled back with clenched fists. The guy scowled before throwing a punch. It hit my cheek, but I didn't react. "Go, I'll keep them away." I whispered to the girl. She nodded, squeezing through a gap in the tables.

"Get her." The guy told his mates, including Mark.

"Buzz off. Hit me instead of her. She did nothing." I said loudly.

"So be it." The guy smirked before pointing at me. A guy threw a punch at me, but I caught his fist and twisted his arm. He yelped in pain, falling to the ground. I kicked the next guy in his places, the third I grabbed his arm and pushed him to the ground, my foot on his chest. I looked at Mark.

"Go ahead. Stranger." I sneered. Mark's eyes widened. "Okay then." I shrugged and turned, leaving the fight.