The Girl Next Door-JSE

Jack's POV

The girl next door had confused me. She always seemed so kind to others, but not to herself. Her life seemed hard from my point of view. Through the walls, I could hear a male voice screaming at her and then cries. She'd sob at night, and all I wanted to do was go over and hug her.

When it was winter, the shouting and sobbing disappeared. It'd start to snow, and all she'd do was stand in it, staring at the sky with a smile tracing her white lips. She'd wear a raincoat and ripped gloves, along with a pale blue beanie. She looked like an angel.

People talked about her round town. Saying she was so nice and helpful. She'd never once shouted or cried in public. She was also on the news. She'd donated loads of things to charity, did the Run for Cancer marathon and was battling a life threatening liver disease called Cirrhosis. The kids of the town looked up to her as an inspiration, and so did I. And that one day came where I finally went to meet her.

I took a deep breath in before knocking on her red door. There was movement, and then the door opened. There stood before me was the h/c haired, e/c eyed girl I admired.

"Hi?" She laughed slightly.

"Uh, hi..." I responded.

"Come in. You're gonna freeze." She dragged me in her house. She shut the door before leading me to the sofa. We both sat down. "Do want anything to drink?" She asked sweetly.

"C... Could I have a black coffee, if you don't mind..." I answered.

"Yeah, sure. I'll be back in a second." She smiled, tugging at the sleeves of her woolen f/c jumper.

A while later, she came in with a mug of black coffee and a cup of water. She placed them both on the table.

"Oh my gosh! I forgot to say, I'm y/n." She pushed somewhat behind her ear before sipping her water.

"I'm Jack." I smiled softly.

"I kinda figured. I've heard you screaming at the top of your lungs and I just guessed your name was Jack." She laughed softly.

"Yeah... If it's ever bothering you, just say." I shrugged before sipping my coffee.

"Nah, I actually find it quite amusing. Something to wake me up in the morning." She rubbed the back of her neck. "So how long have you lived in Athlone?" She asked, leaning forwards slightly.

"All my life. I grew up here." I answered. "What about you?" I asked, glancing at her. She held her cup in both hands, her elbows resting on her knees.

"About.... Fifteen years? I'm twenty five now... Yeah, fifteen years. My mum and dad split up and I moved here with him while my sister stayed with my mum." She told me. She laughed again. "Not seen 'er in about four years." She used her thumb to rub her eye.

"Oh..."

"Anyways, why'd you come over? I don't usually get much company." She asked after a bit of silence.

"I just wanted to meet you. I've heard about you in the news, and you're such an inspiration to me and so many other people." I smiled, looking at the carpet.

"That's so sweet... Thank you. It's kind of, hard you could say. Having this disease, I mean. I'm limited with what I can do, I have to go to hospital literally every month and I can't donate blood. I always wanted to when I was younger because I wanted to save people." She smiled, looking at the floor.

"You've done so much, and I admire you because if it. There's basically no one in Athlone who doesn't look up to you." I glanced at her. The light hit her face, making her look so beautiful.

"I started all this charity stuff when I was eighteen. My dad... He was diagnosed with cancer and I wanted to help. That's when I did the Run For Cancer marathon. I couldn't help him though." She gave a small laugh, wiping her eyes.

After awhile of talking, I realised I had to upload a video.

"Hey, Dani get your number? I have to leave now..." Y/n bit her lip.

"I don't have a phone. But we can just go next door to visit each other, surely." She said, staring into my blue eyes.

"Yeah, yeah. Course. I'll see you another time then." I stood up, putting my beanie back on.

"Bye Jack." Y/n waved as I left.