Chapter 1: Hope For A Better Future

~Freya POV~

Freya sat in her study, sighing as she wrote a letter to her younger sister who was still away, looking for a way to resurrect their brother Kol.

My dear Rebekah, I hope this finds you well. I write to offer an update and ask for your advice.

Our siblings remain at odds. Klaus and Fiore will never apologise—not for the bloodshed, nor the suffering Hayley continues to endure—and Elijah will not apologise for aiding Hayley in her escape, meaning neither will forgive the other. Despite my efforts, we are a house divided.

Which is not to say I have no good news... Fiore kept her word—Marcel controls the Quarter. There, he has founded a fight gym in the old St. Anne's Church where he tests the mettle of those who wish to join his vampire community. Elijah has begun joining him for sparring. I believe it helps him work through his anger... and he has much anger.

While Grace continues to flourish, it is clear she does not like the rift that continues to plague the family. Though Fiore continues to shower her with love and Niklaus remains the doting father, they have been of no help in finding a cure for Hayley's curse. I continue to ask Elliott for assistance but he maintains Hayley will return by another's will. Despite my best efforts, I've yet to find the means to undo the spell placed on her and the Crescent wolves, and Hayley herself continues to struggle, unable to see Grace as Fiore still forbids that her as well as Elijah enter the compound. And we're in no position to ask for outside help...Davina's rage at our family has only grown. And, as Regent of all covens, she is far too formidable to be swayed.

Meanwhile, Niklaus has begun to see Camille for what he calls "their little chats." He claims a desire to amend his ways. In truth, he seems utterly free of remorse... which only drives Elijah further away. Fiore spends her days watching over Grace ensuring that it always known where she is, but her anger continues to worsen. I have pleaded with Klaus to tell her but he continues to stand by what Silas said and will not allow us to tell her either.

I wonder if you would write me with any advice you have on how to heal the fractured bonds in our family. Until then, I remain your loving sister,

Freya.

She read over the letter and crumpled it before magically sending it off and hoped for a better future.

~Fiore POV~

"She grows bigger by the second." Freya said as she watched over little Grace. I had thought she was talking to Elliott but then I heard the voice of the family traitor. Typical.

"Thank you for all your care." Elijah told her. "I doubt our siblings say it much."

"I'll have you know, stubborn as they may be, those two are eternally grateful." Freya said with a chuckle. "I'll also remind you, my services do not only extend to them. I can come with you to see Hayley tonight."

"That won't be necessary." Elijah replied, crouching down to most likely hold Grace. "You deserve a break."

I dashed into the room and swept Grace out of his reach and into my arms. "I'd offer to accompany you myself, but I fear my fragile ego could not endure the litany of insults Hayley has no doubt prepared."

"I doubt that your presence is welcome anywhere." Elijah shot back.

"Coming from my trespassing brother-in-law." I said, rolling my eyes and feigning innocence as I turned to Freya. "He seems quite angry, doesn't he? What do you think it is, Freya? Do you think it's because of the part I played in Hayley's curse? Maybe I should remind him that it is because I'm a merciful person that she isn't dead."